Origin of your nickname

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
It's a made up name so we don't have to account for our socially unaccepted behavior on the internet.

Reactions: Windfall

rosinbole

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jan 18, 2018
www.instagram.com
Mine's a bit odd... Well, here on the forum it's not... Pretty much everywhere else I'm called "Rosinbole".
If you're scandinavian, you know we're off to a good start, as that means "rasin bun"... or well, it kinda does. A long time ago, I was part of a friend group with a... not so bright individual. Other than not being the sharpest tool in the shed, he would sometimes make up weird words or TERRIBLY misspell words to the point of needing an explanation of what he was actually trying to say. Because of that, it became somewhat of a joke to misspell words, and that's how I got my nickname. "Rosinbole" is actually spelled "Rosinbolle" in danish, but when removing one of the l's, the "o" before it becomes oddly long and the entire word sound fairly wierd. Also, people have often just thought I wasn't so good at spelling when seeing my username... Oh the irony XD

Btw I'm not a part of that friend group any longer. The only person I still talk to is nice enough, and hasn't gone too far off track, but the rest have pretty much turned into (no joke, really!) death metal listening AND satan worshipping bullies and drug abusers. That guy who I still talk to, often tells me about the stupid sh*t they do... I think they've tried everything that can harm themselves by this point... It's a wonder that they haven't gotten expelled from their school yet. Maybe even that they're still alive.

Anyway, enough of that... Thanks for tuning into storytelling with Matias. See you around ;)

Reactions: C4B12

SFF EOL

Cable-Tie Ninja
Dec 9, 2018
Mine is easy, SFF is Small Form Factor and EOLis End of Life. The second part was a dark reference to my cancer diagnosis but also because of my tight budget (which is in great part because of my diagnosis) means all my builds were using EOL parts.

In fact since September all I seem to have built is FM2+ based systems, and all of them mATX.

I don’t get what is happening with FM2+ as it seems to be keeping its price well despite not being that great back in 2014 used motherboards are still going for £ 50-70 and CPUs for £30 and say £35 for 8GB of DDR3.

Thing is build them into a system and they still sell at a bit of a profit and I have/had such a lot of DDR3 to hand along with a few APUs.

The novelty has worn off now though. A 200GE system would make more sense as it wouldn’t be much different in cost to build (in mATX) but is about at least 30% more powerful than an old A8 APU. Things like PSU and cases cost the same whatever generation you are using and now DDR4 is starting to come into line the DDR3 is looking overpriced (not that I have had to buy any).

So after this week I have decided no more last gen APUs. Last gen Atoms instead...

rosinbole

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jan 18, 2018
www.instagram.com
Mine is easy, SFF is Small Form Factor and EOLis End of Life. The second part was a dark reference to my cancer diagnosis but also because of my tight budget (which is in great part because of my diagnosis) means all my builds were using EOL parts.

In fact since September all I seem to have built is FM2+ based systems, and all of them mATX.

I don’t get what is happening with FM2+ as it seems to be keeping its price well despite not being that great back in 2014 used motherboards are still going for £ 50-70 and CPUs for £30 and say £35 for 8GB of DDR3.

Thing is build them into a system and they still sell at a bit of a profit and I have/had such a lot of DDR3 to hand along with a few APUs.

The novelty has worn off now though. A 200GE system would make more sense as it wouldn’t be much different in cost to build (in mATX) but is about at least 30% more powerful than an old A8 APU. Things like PSU and cases cost the same whatever generation you are using and now DDR4 is starting to come into line the DDR3 is looking overpriced (not that I have had to buy any).

So after this week I have decided no more last gen APUs. Last gen Atoms instead...
I hope you're doing fine! For the longest time I was using eol/at least last gen hardware as well... My brother still has ahas an fm2+ mobo + cpu in his system. The only reason it can do... Anything ... (Sorry xd) is that he's put an rx580 in it.

Damascus

Master of Cramming
Feb 27, 2018
Damascus steel looks dope, yo

I was just tired of everything being 1q2d12 (middle school username) or Kal (just ripped from a book, so I went with something a bit more interesting

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
So since this suddenly lives:

At one point I was "delta".

Rather common, so it eventually changed to "Kamikaze".

However, that was even more common.

In the next month after (7 years ago?), I changed it to Divine Wind (kamikaze translated to English.)

Eventually it was shortened to "Wind".

Then I got interested in the stock market.

The rest is history.

:p

Weredawg

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Apr 5, 2017
My childhood best friend came up with my nickname back in the Neopets day. I'm a big fan of werewolves so there's the "Were" part and I was really into rap at the time so he slapped "dawg" and that was it.

loader963

King of Cable Management
Jan 21, 2017
Started work in construction during high school and the first real piece of heavy equipment I got to operate was a Cat 963 front end loader. Started using it for everything since my handle was loader and that’s what my friends/coworkers called me on the radio so I made it my psn/Xbox/steam name as well.

Last edited:

BonfireOfDreams

Average Stuffer
Mar 14, 2019
My username references a line from Berserk. In which two major characters describe looking on a field of mercenary encampments full of people with unique talents, personalities, & goals that brought their lives to this violent place. Each small campfire a star collectively mimicking the serenity of the night sky. Each flame cast into the greatest fire (or goal) of them all, the mercenary leader. For those individuals to ensure their campfire (or less arduous goal) does not go out, they risk everything for one man's goal, and in doing so seek to achieve their own dreams.

loader963

King of Cable Management
Jan 21, 2017
My username references a line from Berserk. In which two major characters describe looking on a field of mercenary encampments full of people with unique talents, personalities, & goals that brought their lives to this violent place. Each small campfire a star collectively mimicking the serenity of the night sky. Each flame cast into the greatest fire (or goal) of them all, the mercenary leader. For those individuals to ensure their campfire (or less arduous goal) does not go out, they risk everything for one man's goal, and in doing so seek to achieve their own dreams.

Was hoping yours was a dark souls reference....

Reactions: Weredawg

Reldey

Master of Cramming
Feb 14, 2017
Started when I played WoW in 2007. Wanted to create a character name based on my own, tried just reversing my name, and alas it was taken. Then I tried cutting it in half, and ending it in EY, and have been using it since. Bonus points if you can come up with my name?

Choidebu

"Banned"
Aug 16, 2017
Started when I played WoW in 2007. Wanted to create a character name based on my own, tried just reversing my name, and alas it was taken. Then I tried cutting it in half, and ending it in EY, and have been using it since. Bonus points if you can come up with my name?
Darrell?

Freebo

Chassis Packer
Apr 4, 2019
Mine is a shortened version of my internet name I used back in the early 2000's. It was Freebooter Gaz which was taken from the Warhammer 40k Ork Freebooters which I collected around the same time, I had the Ghazghkull Mag Uruk Thraka model but was part of the Goff's Clan so converted him to be part of my Freebooters becoming 'Freebooter Gaz'.

After using it in various online games my friends often shortened it to just 'Freebo' so it stuck. Other than me and some American guitarist we were the only people to use the Freebo name so was relatively unique until a TV program called Dexter came along and had a character with the same name. Since then I often get 'oh Freebo as in the person from Dexter?'...