Gas Compressor For Dusting/Cleaning

Creep

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Mar 2, 2017
Anyone here use a ~1 gallon or other sized gas compressor in their workshop to break up really dusted builds?

Housing keeping regularly is obviously the first line of defense, but just recently I had to completely disassemble a few parts from a neglected system and the process took quite awhile.

I have a DataVac and while it is powerful and works good, it doesn't have that real directed pressure.

Aside from a room filter and proper air circulation, any other tips for keeping dust from turning into cake?

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
Which model is your DataVac? ED500?
I have been using cans of compressed air over the years and is contemplating of getting a ED500.
So, what do you mean it does not have a real directed pressure? I see there is an included accessory which looks like a long tube of small diameter. I guess that should give a more directed pressure. Am I wrong?

Reactions: Creep

TeutonJon78

Average Stuffer
Jun 7, 2018
I have the ED500 -- it works great for dust (you just have to keep fans from rotating since it can ruin the bearings). If the OPs dust is getting caked, it makes me wonder about their humidity levels.

It does have nozzles for directing the flow. Oddly, the super tiny one doesn't get all that powerful (must be too much back pressure). However, the thing is LOUD. And they say don't use it outside, but I never dust out my computer inside -- it would make a huge mess.

For alternatives, there are things like the RE:Air (not sure if still sold). I found this one too: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DYC3EKO/?tag=theminutiae-20.

Reactions: tinyitx and Creep

Creep

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Mar 2, 2017
Which model is your DataVac? ED500?
I have been using cans of compressed air over the years and is contemplating of getting a ED500.
So, what do you mean it does not have a real directed pressure? I see there is an included accessory which looks like a long tube of small diameter. I guess that should give a more directed pressure. Am I wrong?

I have the ED500 -- it works great for dust (you just have to keep fans from rotating since it can ruin the bearings). If the OPs dust is getting caked, it makes me wonder about their humidity levels.

It does have nozzles for directing the flow. Oddly, the super tiny one doesn't get all that powerful (must be too much back pressure). However, the thing is LOUD. And they say don't use it outside, but I never dust out my computer inside -- it would make a huge mess.

For alternatives, there are things like the RE:Air (not sure if still sold). I found this one too: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DYC3EKO/?tag=theminutiae-20.

Thanks for the responses.

Yes, I have a DataVac ED500 and find it does an excellent job getting the majority of the lighter dust off, but the real problem was the lower layer that's only removed via direct contact. Had to disassemble a bunch of parts and do light passes with a soft brush and ISO to loosen up the gunked areas. Will probably have to do another before I seal it up. I do agree, though, I think it does have something to do with the humidity in my room.

Life goes on and it's just dust but damn... It bothers me on such a nice build, haha.

Reactions: tinyitx

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
I think the 'caking' of dusts is most obvious on edges of fan blades. You cannot blow those out completely with compressed air. You have to use a little brush to make them loose.

One way to combat the dust caking is to prevent its formation by cleaning more often. If I do the cleaning once every year or every 6 months, dust has already rooted down on the surface. However, if I use compressed air to blow the dust every 2 weeks or so, they can be blown away easily. But of course, I am using an open bench table and so the hassle of opening up the case is avoided.

Reactions: Creep

XcPNehVYlE4A3C

Average Stuffer
Feb 8, 2016
I have a DataVac and while it is powerful and works good, it doesn't have that real directed pressure.

lol wat, mine literally bends fan blades and cooling fins. I have to keep it like 2-3 feet away to use it

but yes, you do have to get in there and touch some of the caked on stuff to remove it. i wonder if detailing brushed for cars would work well?