Other Apple Announces Mac Mini Refresh

parlinone

Trash Compacter
Nov 3, 2017
Uhm, apple was the first to offer an OEM SFF with the Cube. Apple has been about SFF since, like, forever.
Even their mac pro is SFF nowadays. Mac users OTOH i'd wager a guess only a minority cares about SFF, and an even smaller part about USFF like the mac mini.

Also, you seem to mistake SFF enthusiasts (builders like us) with mac users just needing an entry level desktop pc without a screen attached.

TinyAudio

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jan 9, 2017
I could. By the same token, you could be getting really rather annoyed about a product not targetted at you.

W1NN1NG

King of Cable Management
Jan 19, 2017
Why wouldn’t you buy a hades canyon nuc over this? Better cpu and gpu for the same price as the lowest tiered version for the highest tiered nuc. The nuc8i7hvk is 799 on Amazon rn

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015
Why wouldn’t you buy a hades canyon nuc over this? Better cpu and gpu for the same price as the lowest tiered version for the highest tiered nuc. The nuc8i7hvk is 799 on Amazon rn

There is always a cheaper option on the PC side, but if one needs macOS (that is reliable when the next OS update drops, unlike Hackintosh)...?!?

W1NN1NG

King of Cable Management
Jan 19, 2017
There is always a cheaper option on the PC side, but if one needs macOS (that is reliable when the next OS update drops, unlike Hackintosh)...?!?
I wouldn’t even consider windows unreliable these days. And every program for macOS has a windows counterpart. So really I fail to see the benefit anymore. Especially for spending the same money for literally half the internal performance. I’ve been debating picking up a hades canyon or building a new pc. I’ve been without one since June. But I need to know how it fairs at 1080p in apex legends and nobody has posted benchmarks for it. I’ve seen ones for the lower end 8705g version but I need them for 8809g

annasoh323

Master of Cramming
Apr 4, 2018
I wouldn’t even consider windows unreliable these days. And every program for macOS has a windows counterpart. So really I fail to see the benefit anymore. Especially for spending the same money for literally half the internal performance. I’ve been debating picking up a hades canyon or building a new pc. I’ve been without one since June. But I need to know how it fairs at 1080p in apex legends and nobody has posted benchmarks for it. I’ve seen ones for the lower end 8705g version but I need them for 8809g
For my church's use, there's a program we use for media that does have Windows and Mac versions. I run the Windows version at home when I need to work at home but it's just worse. I think it's the development team. Things bog down, the interface makes odd jumps, saving and uploading is inconsistent - basically everything I need not to happen in the middle of a service. And so, in this one instance, I swallowed my pride and recommended the Mac for purchase. Just an anecdote from my experience. Wouldn't be this way if I could help it.

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
yeah it's been a long time since i had access to someone who work in audio ._. the last i heard, the studio audio industry is kinda mac-sided

W1NN1NG

King of Cable Management
Jan 19, 2017
yeah it's been a long time since i had access to someone who work in audio ._. the last i heard, the studio audio industry is kinda mac-sided
I think it depends on the software you’re using. There’s plenty of other options out there fruity loops is a great program and it runs flawlessly on windows in my experience. I think it also depends on ram resources as well and speeds. Windows is more resource heavy so I would understand things bogging because of that. I’lo probably end up putting 32gb in the nuc in all honesty. I think that’s the best choice for the platform if you plan on doing multiple things.