Production Lazer3D LZ7 - Quiet Gaming Cube PC Case

Theflathead

Efficiency Noob
New User
Jan 5, 2017
I have the ga-b150n Phoenix gigabyte motherboard that many builds posted here use, but when I’m googling “led strip says fan” not much comes up, could you help me find one that would be plug and play?

Easiest way to add and control the RGB on a fan would be:
https://www.alphacool.com/shop/neue-produkte/22186/alphacool-aurora-led-rgb-controller-kompakt

Sure it has no software, but it's dirt cheap as far as RGB controllers go.

Next up is: https://www.aquatuning.co.uk/water-...049/aquacomputer-farbwerk-usb-aquabus-version

It's very compact and works well in confined spaces such as SFF cases.
Controllable via phone app or pc software.

Then you move up to the more expensive PC centric RGB controllers such as those from Corsair and Thermaltake.

https://www.corsair.com/uk/en/Categories/Products/CORSAIR-LINK/CORSAIR-Commander-PRO/p/CL-9011110-WW

https://www.corsair.com/uk/en/Categ...INK/CORSAIR-Lighting-Node-PRO/p/CL-9011109-WW

https://www.thermaltake.com/Cooler/...Sync_Controller_TT_Premium_Edition/design.htm

RGB strips are whatever you fancy, and make sure you get the right voltage for the controller for the strips you plan to use.(same applies to fans)
5v= 3pin RGB
12v= 4pin RGB

Ordinary LED strips (non RGB) just use molex, sata power or even fan headers and do not require a controller.
If you just decide you want an RGB strip kit (without RGB fans), there are 100's of dirt cheap ones on amazon and ebay that come with their own remote controls and do not require a PC RGB controller.

All depends on budget what you are trying to achieve with your lighting.

As far as I know, there are no 120 or140mm slim RGB fans out there at all.
The only slim 140mm LED fan I've ever seen is:
https://www.thermaltake.com/products-model.aspx?id=C_00002611
@K888D might know some more;)

Litian

Efficiency Noob
Feb 5, 2019
First time poster here, haven't gone through the entire thread so sorry if it's been asked before - I'm planning on a LZ7 build with a Gigabyte 2070 mini and an i7-8700k, and I just found out that the Asus ROG Z370-i has gone out of production. Naturally I'd swap to an Asrock Z390, but I'm curious if there's a way to make the NH-L12S cooler work with ROG Z390-i's massive heatsink, or if there's some other cooler that both fits that motherboard and provides good cooling for an 8700k? Also, what could be a solid alternative to the ROG z370-i motherboard besides Asrock?

Reactions: K888D

Legion

Airflow Optimizer
Nov 22, 2017
You can still pick up the Z370-I, be fast if that's your prefered choice though
https://www.amazon.co.uk/ASUS-Intel-Socket-Chipset-Motherboard/dp/B0764H6HYF/

What's putting you off about the ASRock? It's a solid, well featured board and in all honesty it's certainly the most logical choice for smaller aircooled builds.
The NH-l12S is a very potent, quiet cooler in the LZ7, I'd suggest you build around it.

Alternatively there is nothing actually wrong with the Gigabyte Aorus Z390-I, other than Gigabytes (some find) clunky bios implementation.
It's well featured and performs like the rest of the boards
https://www.aorus.com/Z390-I-AORUS-PRO-WIFI-rev-10
Review: https://bit-tech.net/reviews/tech/motherboards/gigabyte-z390-i-aorus-pro-wifi-review/1/

Don't get stuck in Asus snobbery, the ITX boards are certainly not up to Maximus spec that they once were.
Technically the Asus has the weakest VRM of all the Z390 ITX boards.
Not that it will matter for an 8700k.

If you still want to go with the Asus Z390, use an NH-L9x65 with it!

Last edited by a moderator:

Litian

Efficiency Noob
Feb 5, 2019
You can still pick up the Z370-I, be fast if that's your prefered choice though
https://www.amazon.co.uk/ASUS-Intel...9431985&sr=8-1&keywords=ASUS+ROG+STRIX+Z370-I

What's putting you off about the ASRock? It's a solid, well featured board and in all honesty I would have no qualms about buying or using it.
The NH-l12S is a very potent cooler in the LZ7, you want to keep that and use what works with it.

Don't get stuck in Asus snobbery, the ITX boards are certainly not up to Maximus spec that they once were.
Technically the Asus has the weakest VRM of all the Z390 ITX boards.
Not that it will matter for an 8700k.

If you still want to go with the Asus Z390, use an NH-L9x65 with it.

Thanks for the answer, really appreciate the tips! It was mostly just me being curious than anything else, though the Asus board does have one more PCle port than Asrock - which has only one - but I won't need 2 PCle drives anyways. I'll probably pick up the Asrock motherboard for my build then.

K888D

SFF Guru
Original poster
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
Hi @Litian, welcome to the forum!

I'm just letting you know that I've replied to your message on our website. The reason I'm letting you know here is because I've been getting many reports that our emails are going straight into junk/spam folders leading many customers to think we've not been replying to them, whereas I actually reply to every message or email we receive.

UK, EU, US, UAE, Canadian, Australian and New Zealand customers can order from Overclockers UK HERE. The rest of the world can order direct from us HERE.

Last edited:

Legion

Airflow Optimizer
Nov 22, 2017
Thanks for the answer, really appreciate the tips! It was mostly just me being curious than anything else, though the Asus board does have one more PCle port than Asrock - which has only one - but I won't need 2 PCle drives anyways. I'll probably pick up the Asrock motherboard for my build then.

The ASRock does indeed have 2, NVME M.2 slots, one on the front under that large heatsink, and one on the rear of the board.

Litian

Efficiency Noob
Feb 5, 2019
Hi @Litian, welcome to the forum!

I'm just letting you know that I've replied to your message on our website. The reason I'm letting you know here is because I've been getting many reports that our emails are going straight into junk/spam folders leading many customers to think we've not been replying to them, whereas I actually reply to every message or email we receive.

UK, EU, US, UAE, Canadian, Australian and New Zealand customers can order from Overclockers UK HERE. The rest of the world can order direct from us HERE.
Thanks! Glad I didn't make the purchase yesterday, the price drop is on point :)

The ASRock does indeed have 2, NVME M.2 slots, one on the front under that large heatsink, and one on the rear of the board.
Good to know, thanks for the heads up!

Nosuchthing

Trash Compacter
Feb 27, 2017
MINI ANNOUNCEMENT

From today the price of the LZ7 has been permanently reduced by £10 down to £169.99 inc VAT*, both at Overclockers UK and Lazer3D.

*VAT is only applicable for EU residents, the checkout process will automatically deduct the 20% VAT when your shipping country is entered.

Kinda disappointed in that.

I bought my case just a week and a half before you made that announcement. After you told me that there wouldn't be a change in price until much later in the year :/.

Ah well, still a great little case!

K888D

SFF Guru
Original poster
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
Kinda disappointed in that.

I bought my case just a week and a half before you made that announcement. After you told me that there wouldn't be a change in price until much later in the year :/.

Ah well, still a great little case!

I am sorry about that, I think I did say don't expect any big price drops over the next few months, we are working on stuff developments that will have a greater affect on the price, but they aren't expected until later this year.

But that said, if anyone who bought a case in January 2019 is upset by the price drop announcement please get in touch (with your order details) and we can sort out a refund for the price difference no problem.

Announcing a price drop is a tricky one to handle, if you give a date then most your customers will hold out until the drop, which isn't great if you rely on these sales for your wages. But at the same time there will always be someone who has just made a purchase before the announcement no matter how you plan the price to happen.

Hope you can understand!

Nosuchthing

Trash Compacter
Feb 27, 2017
Hope you can understand!

I understand, and I'm really pleased with the case, it's everything I thought it would be, and more, it was even easier to build in than I expected. It was a really pleasant build experience, not least because it all worked first time.

One quick question though, would you recommend running sata power cables behind the 2.5inch panel? Or should they be run in front of it?

Like I said, it is a great little case, and looks very slick on my desk.

P.S.
Kudos on the clearly indicated connections for the vandal switch, I've had connections from major manufacturers that you had to guess at.

Reactions: owliwar and K888D

K888D

SFF Guru
Original poster
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
One quick question though, would you recommend running sata power cables behind the 2.5inch panel? Or should they be run in front of it?

Thank you for the comments!

Personally I run them behind the panel as it routes them neatly out the way into the top of the case away from the motherboard, but it can be done either way, whichever suits your build layout the best.

Wahaha360

a.k.a W360
SFFLAB
NCASE
SSUPD
Feb 23, 2015

dcaparros

Trash Compacter
May 19, 2017
I have upgraded my LZ7 with the pieces in the signature and I'm still amazed on how amazing this case is. The upgrade was a breeze since you can easily open the sides and since I switched my power supply the cable fitted better (with the exception of the 24 pin motherboard). Using a Gigabyte RTX 2060 mini was easy and I didn't have any issues fitting in the case.