Concept 5.37L Aluminum extrusion Frame

AURMEND

Destroyer of PCs
Original poster
A&M Solutions and Design LLC
Jul 30, 2018

This is the MicroRax frame. This will measure 270*60*300, that's under 5L. I don't think this will fit.... but I'll At least try. This will have no Front I/O, only a power button.

Oh and the Fusion 360 files are here: https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/5-37l-aluminum-frame-pc-w-1080ti-flex-psu.10078/

AURMEND

Destroyer of PCs
Original poster
Jul 30, 2018
Would you guys like me to make a plastic frame?

neyurt

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jul 26, 2018
Hey, you mentioned that the Enhance 7660B doesn't have pcie connectors?? I just ordered one and clearly in the description it mentions that there's a 2x pcie 6+2:

Enhance Flex power supply 600W.
Brand new with 1-year warranty.
20/24pin +(4+4pin) + 2 x (6+2pin for VGA) +3 Molex +1 FDD + 4 x SATA connectors

Andorski

Caliper Novice
Sep 10, 2016
Why does the MicroRax suck? Been thinking about doing something like your project and liked how you can order the MicroRax cut-to-size.

AURMEND

Destroyer of PCs
Original poster
Jul 30, 2018
Hey, you mentioned that the Enhance 7660B doesn't have pcie connectors?? I just ordered one and clearly in the description it mentions that there's a 2x pcie 6+2:

Enhance Flex power supply 600W.
Brand new with 1-year warranty.
20/24pin +(4+4pin) + 2 x (6+2pin for VGA) +3 Molex +1 FDD + 4 x SATA connectors

No idea why it says that... Mine didn't come with the PCI-E connectors.

Why does the MicroRax suck? Been thinking about doing something like your project and liked how you can order the MicroRax cut-to-size.

The plate nuts they give you to to thread into them suck, I highly suggest getting every single one and putting a screw through them to thread them.

And then the corners can't be taken off individually like the MakerBeam ones so it's much harder to just slide the beams into the parts. Like what I did with the MakerBeam. So basically you have to assemble the frame with all the But plates sliding around then install the panels. It's much easier if the panels where in the outside

Reactions: Andorski

Andorski

Caliper Novice
Sep 10, 2016
Thanks for the response. I have a question about the strength of these 10mm aluminum extrusions: I'm making a case that will roughly be 200x200x100mm. I plan on making a handle on top of the case using some nylon webbing straps that will be tied to the two 100mm beams in top of the case. Do you think the weight of the entire PC will cause the 100mm beams to bend when holding it by the handle? If you think it will, do you imagine the 15mm Makerbeams will be strong enough to hold the weight?

batterybull

Trash Compacter
Jul 28, 2018
@Andorski
I have these beams and they will def hold the weight.

@AURMEND
how are your side panels attached? (instead of being flat they have flanges on the side to attach to the frame?) how thick are the panels? what material/filament is it printed from? How strong are the pieces?

sorry for the barrage of questions lol, but this is very interesting

Last edited:
Reactions: Andorski

AURMEND

Destroyer of PCs
Original poster
Jul 30, 2018
@Andorski
I have these beams and they will def hold the weight.

@AURMEND
how are your side panels attached? (instead of being flat they have flanges on the side to attach to the frame?) how thick are the panels? what material/filament is it printed from? How strong are the pieces?

sorry for the barrage of questions lol, but this is very interesting

Yup the beams will definitely hold

•The panels are 4mm thick
• where the panels meet the frame it's 2mm thick and it's flat
• I use PETG due to its strength and heat resistance.
•They are really strong for what it is and being screwed into the frame makes it more rigid

Look at my second thread to download the 3D files.

AURMEND

Destroyer of PCs
Original poster
Jul 30, 2018
Why did you get rid of the aluminium extrusion? How does this affect sturdiness and cost?

This is just a prototype since the aluminum extrusion is the most expensive part. It's not meant to replace my original design

Sturdiness I have no idea but my guess it will be flimsy towards the middle. Total cost should be around $40 if nothing goes wrong with the printing process.

$20 for 1kg PETG or ABS
$5 for M3x5mm low profile hex screws
$5 for M3 low profile heat inserts

And 4 standoffs for the MoBo

Reactions: Bjornyyy

Bjornyyy

Trash Compacter
Jan 22, 2017
This is just a prototype since the aluminum extrusion is the most expensive part. It's not meant to replace my original design

Sturdiness I have no idea but my guess it will be flimsy towards the middle. Total cost should be around $40 if nothing goes wrong with the printing process.

$20 for 1kg PETG or ABS
$5 for M3x5mm low profile hex screws
$5 for M3 low profile heat inserts

And 4 standoffs for the MoBo
I'm curious to see how this will work out, I'm thinking of doing a extrusion frame myself but if this works out I will reconsider 3d printing.

Maybe you could consider having acrylic 'side' panels instead of 3d printing them?

AURMEND

Destroyer of PCs
Original poster
Jul 30, 2018
So it's possible to make any of the panels acrylic but not all of them. Just have to modify the file which will not be hard. Even on my original design you can do that for the cover.

If you want to make it fully acrylic just put the panels on the outside of the frame. It will take me a few hours to make it so.