Chimera Industries Cerberus: The 18L, mATX, USA-made enclosure

Bioforce

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 31, 2018
What?! My beloved Scythe Fuma is fitting inside cerberus?!
What cpu are you using?

I believe I read somewhere that having the Glass side panel on the Cerberus X reduces CPU cooler clearance a couple millimeters. Is this still true? I'm curious to know if the Scythe Fuma would still fit with the glass panel.

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
I believe I read somewhere that having the Glass side panel on the Cerberus X reduces CPU cooler clearance a couple millimeters. Is this still true? I'm curious to know if the Scythe Fuma would still fit with the glass panel.
Well glass side panel is a DIY solution due to mounting clips system.
For full plexiglass/windows side panel, definitely windows is eating several millimiters of clearance...not sure that Fuma will fit with windowed panel, especially it was already a pretty tight fit with standard side panel.

Nanook

King of Cable Management
May 23, 2016
The inside of the plexi window is just about flush with the chassis. The Fuma sits about flush with the chassis as well. I am afraid that the heat pipes may touch the window. One little tap of metal on plexi, and your window will be marred. Please be careful...

Reactions: Bioforce

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
@fabio temps are looking nice, and what about noise?
@carpenike @fabio you are Cerberus-X watercooling kings..:D

@MarcParis Well, In idle I have my slim fan at 800rpm, so inaudible!

Under load they goes till 1800rpm, and the sterrox is fixed at 50% for airflow, so they are audible, but even silent! The specs say 24db. Of course, when the Titan V are under load, you know, they are like a small jet!

When I will install the other 2 sensor maybe I flip the top fan direction as exhaust, but I don't know if will change anything, actually the top of the case seems to have "fresh air" even if almost 0 airflow...

matthewn4444

Cable Smoosher
Oct 13, 2018
Well glass side panel is a DIY solution due to mounting clips system.
For full plexiglass/windows side panel, definitely windows is eating several millimiters of clearance...not sure that Fuma will fit with windowed panel, especially it was already a pretty tight fit with standard side panel.

What was the diy mod you seen/tried?

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
https://smallformfactor.net/forum/t...x-usa-made-enclosure.454/page-227#post-105316
I can confirm the Scythe Fuma rev. B fits the Chimera:

A few millimeters between the heatpipe tips and the outer edge of the frame of the case.

Still plenty of room for more heatsink !

What was the diy mod you seen/tried?
Well @Phuncz is actually using Fuma rev B for his Cerberus setup.

Reactions: Nanook

Bioforce

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 31, 2018
The inside of the plexi window is just about flush with the chassis. The Fuma sits about flush with the chassis as well. I am afraid that the heat pipes may touch the window. One little tap of metal on plexi, and your window will be marred. Please be careful...

Thank you for the information. I suppose worst case scenario if the heatpipes do push against the window I could just drill holes in the plexiglass to make space. I know that requires special drill bits, but I've got a mechanic friend that very likely has a set. Is it safe to assume the Fuma would fit the same in both the regular Cerberus and the Cerberus-X, seeing as they have the same width and cooler clearance? I won't know precisely which case I'll be going with until I settle on a motherboard once the new AMD chips drop in 3 - 4 months.

rcradiator

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 23, 2018
Sorry I meant the window mod.
Finally finished my build in the Cerberus X! Certainly not the easiest to build in, but totally worth it.
Pics:

Parts Link: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/rcradiator/saved/jZND8d
Is this what you want? Window mod was done using a sacrificial side panel (came dented already, so I was either going to return it or use it), a dremel, a tempered glass panel (13 5/16" x 14 7/16" x 1/4', light gray, ordered from onedayglass.com), and 3M VHB tape. For a guide to how to attach the glass, check out this video. This mod works with the FUMA Rev.B. If you're talking about the full size window on Sliger's website, that will not work with the FUMA as the window is mounted to the inside of the panel, reducing clearance.

Last edited:

matthewn4444

Cable Smoosher
Oct 13, 2018
Is this what you want? Window mod was done using a sacrificial side panel (came dented already, so I was either going to return it or use it), a dremel, a tempered glass panel (13 5/16" x 14 7/16" x 1/4', light gray, ordered from onedayglass.com), and 3M VHB tape. For a guide to how to attach the glass, check out this video. This mod works with the FUMA Rev.B. If you're talking about the full size window on Sliger's website, that will not work with the FUMA as the window is mounted to the inside of the panel, reducing clearance.

I assume that would be very hard to take off if you cannot bend it.

Bioforce

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 31, 2018
Copy paste from a PM for others:

Window panel will not be glass due the case being designed for portability and shattering a concern, material with be optical grade impact modified acrylic - same as motor cycle visors / current window.

Window will not be vented, hence the new dual fan bracket for top.

Only new color is unpainted as we get a lot of people asking for DIY projects. Also will be adding ability to print full color artwork or logos on the case.

Wood tops will also be fully released in both no-handle and with-handle configuration.

Any news on the dual 120mm top fan bracket? I just stumbled across this post and it was the first I'd ever heard about it.

Edit: Ah, I see the option on the website. I'd never seen it mentioned before so I guess I glossed right over it.

Last edited:

rcradiator

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 23, 2018
I assume that would be very hard to take off if you cannot bend it.
On the contrary, it's the easiest to take off. The panel thickness + 1/4 inch glass make for a very rigid panel which just pulls off without having to flex. The most difficult panel to take off is the front panel, which requires a ridiculous amount of force to take off. Then again, I have no idea how new revision cases behave, as I bought my Cerberus X last December (KC10X vs the current KC11X).

Aldvelothi

Case Bender
Dec 12, 2018
I got my Cerberus X today, and while I'm generally satisfied with the build quality I have a few questions:

Was the ATX PSU mount supposed to come with screws? Here is everything that came with mine:

The panels seem somewhat bent. Is this within normal tolerances? (I realize that the case isn't CNC-ed from a solid block of metal, so there will of course be some imperfections)

Last edited:

KSliger

King of Cable Management
Sliger Designs
May 8, 2015
I got my Cerberus X today, and while I'm generally satisfied with the build quality I have a few questions:

Was the ATX PSU mount supposed to come with screws? Here is everything that came with mine:

The panels and ATX mount seem somewhat bent/warped. Is this within normal tolerances? (I realize that the case isn't CNC-ed from a solid block of metal, so there will of course be some imperfections)

You didn't get screws but got a bunch of the labels? Please shoot us an email, orders@sliger.com, and we'll get this fixed!

The flatness is usually off on side panels, it's a result of the design, but is not the criteria we use for quality control.

Perforating the holes / cutting edges displaces material and causes internal stress in the panels which causes warping / bowing. We work out the cases to sit well / edges align when assembled - we do not work out the panels to sit flat when laid on a table. Only fix is to go with a much thinner aluminum, and add flanges to edges.

Aldvelothi

Case Bender
Dec 12, 2018
Thanks! I will do that. I have to add that the pictures exaggerate the extent of the bowing. The case is really well built with solid materials!

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
spent a bit of time on the layout for the upgrade. might need to ditch cannibalising an Enermax TR4 AIO because it's pretty hard to tetris the pump in ,_,

gonna figure out how to do those corner supports ._.

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
spent a bit of time on the layout for the upgrade. might need to ditch cannibalising an Enermax TR4 AIO because it's pretty hard to tetris the pump in ,_,

gonna figure out how to do those corner supports ._.
If only Swiftech was making an Apogee drive II for TR4 socket...it will ease your choice..:)

Reactions: VegetableStu