Show your new toys Topic

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
If it's all the same, I would rather have the case there. Also, you considered how cool that case would be machined??

I've only gotten an automatic quote from 3D Hubs, but machining one of these units in finished aluminum would be in the range of $750, so very expensive. That's just for one case, so I'd need to make many more to get the per-unit price down (and maybe seek other places for quotes).

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
I've only gotten an automatic quote from 3D Hubs, but machining one of these units in finished aluminum would be in the range of $750, so very expensive. That's just for one case, so I'd need to make many more to get the per-unit price down (and maybe seek other places for quotes).

If I ever get a Tormach 1100M (soon, hopefully) I'll want to do it.

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
If I ever get a Tormach 1100M (soon, hopefully) I'll want to do it.

Don't know much about CNC machines but that looks like a very competent piece of equipment. Would you be willing to do a small run of these cases for a price? Maybe this is getting too off topic, better off discussed in my case thread :)

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network

5u Intel server chassis for my "x79" system (e5-2640, aliexpress motherboard, 24gb ram, 10tb of 3.5" drives). Not small, but I don't care XD (servers ftw)

Reactions: Phuncz

step83

Average Stuffer
Dec 23, 2018
Not 100% sure this counts but finished my bike build a couple weeks ago. SRAM eTap, full electronic shifting (wireless no cables bar the brakes) Also has a power meter so that along with the HR monitor the bike computer tells me the power, cadence and heart rate plus now it shows what gear I'm in Comes out a smidge over 8Kg, could save more weight but it would prove very expensive. Handlebars are not wrapped in this photo but they were done.
Had the bike a while but they changes made, im now calling it done. Rides fantastically though carbon wheels are bad in high winds acting like sails so a shallow set for winter.

nero626

Average Stuffer
Dec 8, 2016
Not 100% sure this counts but finished my bike build a couple weeks ago. SRAM eTap, full electronic shifting (wireless no cables bar the brakes) Also has a power meter so that along with the HR monitor the bike computer tells me the power, cadence and heart rate plus now it shows what gear I'm in Comes out a smidge over 8Kg, could save more weight but it would prove very expensive. Handlebars are not wrapped in this photo but they were done.
Had the bike a while but they changes made, im now calling it done. Rides fantastically though carbon wheels are bad in high winds acting like sails so a shallow set for winter.

damn thats some high tech sh!t, haven't been following bike stuff for a few years and they have wireless electronic shifters now?? like 6 years ago i thought my wireless bike computer was cool as heck, also thats a cleeeean bike

Reactions: step83

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017

Inno3D RTX 2070. Neither the Gigabyte nor the MSI 2070 itx are available yet so when I saw this on ebay I decided to take a chance and buy it. $500, which is as cheap as you can get any 2070 here is the US. The card is listed at 196mm and I knew there was a chance it would not fit in my MI-6, but with just some persuasion I was able to install it.

Reactions: TheHig

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
but with just some persuasion I was able to install it.

When I visualize the word "persuasion" I imagine persuading a kid to, say, brush his teeth; "C'mon son brush your teeth before you go to bed, like how dad & mum always do".

Definitely not something like...

"Hey Inno3D RTX2070, do you mind to go in that MI-6 case? It's a little cramped I know but you're the only smaller RTX card at the moment and I need those G-Sync"

XD

step83

Average Stuffer
Dec 23, 2018
When I visualize the word "persuasion" I imagine persuading a kid to, say, brush his teeth; "C'mon son brush your teeth before you go to bed, like how dad & mum always do".

Definitely not something like...

"Hey Inno3D RTX2070, do you mind to go in that MI-6 case? It's a little cramped I know but you're the only smaller RTX card at the moment and I need those G-Sync"

XD

Or a soft face hammer tapping it down into place?

Reactions: Biowarejak

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
Fortunately I didn't have to use such extreme persuasion. I knew the card was too long and it might be necessary to trim the fan shroud or possibly even notch the frame for clearance. Didn't actually require anything more than pushing the frame forward and the card down.

Reactions: Biowarejak