Solved Invert 2080 Ti Fans For Exhaust

Bioforce

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Aug 31, 2018
Hello all,

So I understand that one of the more popular GPU configurations with the Ncase is to put an Accelero III heatsink on them and then position 25mm fans underneath configured as exhaust to dump the GPU's massive heat output directly out of the case. I happen to have a 2080 Ti, however, which Arctic claims is not compatible with the Accelero III. It does, however, have a nice fat EVGA XC Ultra heatsink on it. From what I've been told in another forum, even with the shroud and built in fans removed, there is not enough room to fit 25mm fans underneath the heatsink in the M1, but, 15mm fans will fit under a fully assembled 2080 Ti XC Ultra.

With all that said, I have two questions that I was hoping the community could answer. Can anyone verify that even with the shroud, fans, and fan bracket (which appears to be removable from the card) removed 25mm thick fans will not fit underneath it? Second, is there any reason that inverting the fans on the card to make them move air to the bottom of the case where 15mm thick fans would exhaust it would be a bad idea? Is this even possible?

Thank you to anyone that can provide some insight.

Last edited:

Nord1ing

Average Stuffer
Dec 5, 2018
Can you tell height of 2018ti rad?
I have rog strix 1070 with removed stock fans and 2x 120*25mm on the bottom what fits fine, with some extra space between fans and gpu rad.

Bioforce

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Aug 31, 2018
It's a 2.75 slot card normally, while I believe the RoG Strix 1070 is normally a 2 slot isn't it? I haven't actually disassembled the card yet since it is in my current build, so I don't have an exact measure of the heatsink's thickness. As far as I'm aware from one other person that tried, he could not get 25mm thick fans under it with the shroud and fans removed. However, I saw an exploded view of the card that makes it look like the bracket the shroud and fans mount to could be removed as well. I think if that bracket were removed the fans could fit, but I'd like to know if anyone else has tried before.

xSDMx

Caliper Novice
Nov 21, 2018
Really interested in this. I have a 2080 Ti XC Ultra and I'd love to keep the HSF and switch to an exhaust setup.

Nord1ing

Average Stuffer
Dec 5, 2018
I have ~38mm clearance between graphic card pcb and 25mm tick fans, installed on bottom of the case.

tuppaacc

Cable Smoosher
Jun 24, 2018
WAY AHEAD OF U, short answr prob not (from my own research) way back when i was looking for a way to make my 1080Ti fan spin to the bottom of the ncase (exhaust), someone told me IT CAN be done however it had to do something with the current of the fans and it will make them spin the other way but I didnt mess with it since i was told the fans werent desing for that and itll prob make it worst. SO WHAT I DID DO was remove the GPU fans and just use the 120mm fans (exhause and intake) however this didnt work as my GPU went up by like 10c. (contrary to Nord1ing) and was much louder also tried several configs and thermal paste but basically u need that MASSIVE heatsink from Accelero in order for it to work.

Last edited:
Reactions: dealda

Bioforce

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Aug 31, 2018
WAY AHEAD OF U, short answr prob not (from my own research) way back when i was looking for a way to make my 1080Ti fan spin to the bottom of the ncase (exhaust), someone told me IT CAN be done however it had to do something with the current of the fans and it will make them spin the other way but I didnt mess with it since i was told the fans werent desing for that and itll prob make it worst. SO WHAT I DID DO was remove the GPU fans and just use the 120mm fans (exhause and intake) however this didnt work as my GPU went up by like 10c. (contrary to Nord1ing) and was much louder also tried several configs and thermal paste but basically u need that MASSIVE heatsink from Accelero in order for it to work.

Interesting. I could certainly see how changing the wiring to make the motor spin in a direction it was never intended to could hurt performance or even damage the motor. I imagine it would also ultimately void the warranty on the card. As far as I'm aware EVGA is ok with people removing the stock cooler, but I doubt rewiring it is covered XD.

It looks like the best way for me to go would be to simply keep the card stock and fit some slim fans under it. From what I hear 15mm's will fit under the XC Ultra in the M1, but that a couple screws have to be removed from the shroud since they interfere with the fan blades. 12mm's may also be an option.

tuppaacc

Cable Smoosher
Jun 24, 2018
Interesting. I could certainly see how changing the wiring to make the motor spin in a direction it was never intended to could hurt performance or even damage the motor. I imagine it would also ultimately void the warranty on the card. As far as I'm aware EVGA is ok with people removing the stock cooler, but I doubt rewiring it is covered XD.

It looks like the best way for me to go would be to simply keep the card stock and fit some slim fans under it. From what I hear 15mm's will fit under the XC Ultra in the M1, but that a couple screws have to be removed from the shroud since they interfere with the fan blades. 12mm's may also be an option.

The best gpus to buy (for sff cases) are the ones that come with tick rads and 3 fans like the EVGA FTW3 or asus strix and just put nothing uder the case. when i get a 2080 ill prob buy one of those and just put liquid metal that should keep temps around 50c even after oc

Bioforce

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Aug 31, 2018
The best gpus to buy (for sff cases) are the ones that come with tick rads and 3 fans like the EVGA FTW3 or asus strix and just put nothing uder the case. when i get a 2080 ill prob buy one of those and just put liquid metal that should keep temps around 50c even after oc

I would have gone for a triple fan if it was an option at the time, but the main reason I went with the XC Ultra is because Newegg had an amazing black friday deal on them. Including tax I got the XC Ultra (Normally $1400 on Newegg) + an EVGA 1600 Watt T2 PSU + Battlefield 5 for $1250. I sold the PSU for $200 on Ebay, so between that and the free game I effectively got an XC Ultra for $1000 :D .

As far as putting case fans under it goes, other people have reported fairly significant temperature improvements in the Ncase M1 from putting even slim fans under their GPU, so I'll definitely go that route.

xSDMx

Caliper Novice
Nov 21, 2018
Ended up caving and getting a RAIJINTEK MORPHEUS II to replace the stock HSF on my EVGA 2080 Ti XC Ultra. Hoping that it works well in an exhaust configuration. 2080 Ti XC Ultra + slim fans worked OK, but the primary GPU would still get up to ~2000 RPM (~73-80% PWM duty) to keep the temperatures under control.

Reactions: imode

imode

Chassis Packer
Nov 28, 2018
Ended up caving and getting a RAIJINTEK MORPHEUS II to replace the stock HSF on my EVGA 2080 Ti XC Ultra. Hoping that it works well in an exhaust configuration. 2080 Ti XC Ultra + slim fans worked OK, but the primary GPU would still get up to ~2000 RPM (~73-80% PWM duty) to keep the temperatures under control.

Let me know how this goes. I know it basically comes down to an accelero III or the morpheus II. I've had my eye on the morpheus II, but the limitation of 15mm fans only has worried me a little bit.

M1AF

Average Stuffer
Jan 1, 2019
I disassembled an XC Ultra back in October. The fan bracket is soldered to the sink and would need to be permanently damaged in order to test fitment with 25mm fans. This would also remove the rgb lighting as well since it is also attached to the bracket. Also note that the XC Ultra sink is "U" shaped and does not have as much sink area as other aib sinks due to this.

It is better to use the ROG Strix variant for an Accelero mod, since 25mm fans will fit (as intake only) with the fan bracket. If the bracket is removed, it should work like an Accelero just like the Pascal cards.

As far as flipping the fans goes, no idea. Haven't tried that. I know that even in the stock config, you have to remove four center screws in order to fit the slim Noctuas.

Reactions: xSDMx

Bioforce

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Aug 31, 2018
I disassembled an XC Ultra back in October. The fan bracket is soldered to the sink and would need to be permanently damaged in order to test fitment with 25mm fans. This would also remove the rgb lighting as well since it is also attached to the bracket. Also note that the XC Ultra sink is "U" shaped and does not have as much sink area as other aib sinks due to this.

It is better to use the ROG Strix variant for an Accelero mod, since 25mm fans will fit (as intake only) with the fan bracket. If the bracket is removed, it should work like an Accelero just like the Pascal cards.

As far as flipping the fans goes, no idea. Haven't tried that. I know that even in the stock config, you have to remove four center screws in order to fit the slim Noctuas.

Thank you very much for that magnificent information. That answers all of my questions. It looks like the best option overall for my situation is going to be to remove those 4 screws and place 15mm thick Noctua fans underneath.

jtmsrl

Caliper Novice
Jan 12, 2019
sorry guys for the off topic, I’m looking for an RTX2080 Ti and the comments here seems really helpful on how to keep the GPU cold, but my concerns right now is if a Corsair SF600 will be enough to handle this GPU. What are you guys using?

Bioforce

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Aug 31, 2018
sorry guys for the off topic, I’m looking for an RTX2080 Ti and the comments here seems really helpful on how to keep the GPU cold, but my concerns right now is if a Corsair SF600 will be enough to handle this GPU. What are you guys using?
Corsair just released an SF750. That's what I intend to use for my Ncase build when I put it together and is what I would recommend you use instead of the 600. That said, I've seen builds using an SF600 with Turing cards, but you absolutely won't having any overclocking headroom and the PSU fan is likely going to be running at 100% under load. If you can spare the extra cash, the SF750 would be a better pick.

Bioforce

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Aug 31, 2018
So
Corsair just released an SF750. That's what I intend to use for my Ncase build when I put it together and is what I would recommend you use instead of the 600. That said, I've seen builds using an SF600 with Turing cards, but you absolutely won't having any overclocking headroom and the PSU fan is likely going to be running at 100% under load. If you can spare the extra cash, the SF750 would be a better pick.

I ran a sample build using an I9-9900k, a 2080ti, a single m.2 SSD, and 2 8 gig sticks of DDR4 RAM through Coolermaster's wattage calculator and with no overclocking it estimated a draw of about 500 Watts. So like I said, an SF600 would work, but your overclocking headroom is small and the fan is gonna be running hard under load.

jtmsrl

Caliper Novice
Jan 12, 2019
So

I ran a sample build using an I9-9900k, a 2080ti, a single m.2 SSD, and 2 8 gig sticks of DDR4 RAM through Coolermaster's wattage calculator and with no overclocking it estimated a draw of about 500 Watts. So like I said, an SF600 would work, but your overclocking headroom is small and the fan is gonna be running hard under load.

Yeah I know about the SF750, but I already bought the SF600. Anyways I think I’ll downgrade to an RTX 2080 (not TI) so it should be fine. Thanks

Bioforce

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Aug 31, 2018
Yeah I know about the SF750, but I already bought the SF600. Anyways I think I’ll downgrade to an RTX 2080 (not TI) so it should be fine. Thanks
You'd probably be fine either way as long as you weren't intending to do any intense overclocking. Would also depend on the rest of your system too. I used a 9900k in the wattage calculation, but if you're using a lower power CPU than that you'd have more headroom to tweak your GPU. Either way, good luck with your build.

Reactions: jtmsrl