First ITX SFF Build based J3160TM-ITX

SFF EOL

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Dec 9, 2018
Hello everyone, well I need to ask some questions as regards a power supply. I have three ‘projects’ planned. The following project is the one I have a few questions about (the other projects can wait).

1) The next one is another last gen ITX embedded MB. The CPU scores about 2000 on PC Mark so it is no powerhouse but I do fancy making it a silent- where I get worried is the PSU. For this build I would prefer to use a 19v ‘laptop’ PSU, beyond aesthetics is that a big problem?

Anyway the ‘Number One’ is a J3160TM-ITX. 2*4GB DDR3 SODIMM and a 250GB SSD (nothing special, probably a WD Green, maybe also a 1TB 2.5 HDD). I think I may get away without a case fan as it is embedded passive?

Can anyone recommend a PSU/brick that is reliable- I want to use the smallest case I can get away with so a suggestion there would also be great- I quite like the ‘utility/ industrial’ look for the case- there is a slim chance I might entertain some very discrete lighting off a USB header but that may be a leap to far? Finally a good WiFi card that is small enough- I have one PCIe 1 available or if it comes to it USB2 (if it really comes to it ethernet as I am wired).

Budget is an issue but I was pretty much expecting to spend about £150 for the memory, PSU, case and WiFi (I have SSDs). So the finished build would cost about max £200 (which is expensive I admit but I am guessing). Lesser cost would be nice as this is really a training exercise for me.

Hopefully I haven’t come over too NOOB and thanks in advance.

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
Hello everyone, well I need to ask some questions as regards a power supply. I have three ‘projects’ planned. The following project is the one I have a few questions about (the other projects can wait).

1) The next one is another last gen ITX embedded MB. The CPU scores about 2000 on PC Mark so it is no powerhouse but I do fancy making it a silent- where I get worried is the PSU. For this build I would prefer to use a 19v ‘laptop’ PSU, beyond aesthetics is that a big problem?

Anyway the ‘Number One’ is a J3160TM-ITX. 2*4GB DDR3 SODIMM and a 250GB SSD (nothing special, probably a WD Green, maybe also a 1TB 2.5 HDD). I think I may get away without a case fan as it is embedded passive?

Can anyone recommend a PSU/brick that is reliable- I want to use the smallest case I can get away with so a suggestion there would also be great- I quite like the ‘utility/ industrial’ look for the case- there is a slim chance I might entertain some very discrete lighting off a USB header but that may be a leap to far? Finally a good WiFi card that is small enough- I have one PCIe 1 available or if it comes to it USB2 (if it really comes to it ethernet as I am wired).

Budget is an issue but I was pretty much expecting to spend about £150 for the memory, PSU, case and WiFi (I have SSDs). So the finished build would cost about max £200 (which is expensive I admit but I am guessing). Lesser cost would be nice as this is really a training exercise for me.

Hopefully I haven’t come over too NOOB and thanks in advance.

You don't need a case fan! You could get away with a TINY case here, although my high school had VERY similar Asrock embedded boards, they put them in an ATX case.

neilhart

Cable-Tie Ninja
Apr 18, 2017
Your motherboard is a “Thin ITX” and there are some cases for Thin ITX, I have a SilverStone PT13 in my collection. This case has provision for one 2.5 inch hard drive (or SSD). Google it for an idea.

And I have used Dell laptop AC to DC power bricks on several Thin-ITX systems. The one that I am currently using is 130W model LA130PM121.

Neil

EpixRu

Minimal Tinkerer
Dec 14, 2018
Can anyone recommend a PSU/brick that is reliable

The manual for the J3160TM lists these 3 options below. All of which are good reliable brands.

DELTA DELTA-ADP-150TB-150W/19V
HP HP-TBC-BA52-150W/19V
FSP FSP-FSP150-ABAN1-150W/19V

SFF EOL

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Dec 9, 2018
Thanks for your suggestions, I’m not ignoring them, I’m tied up with the cancer thing now. I really like the suggestion of Petit PT13, although I do have two ITX cases already. It retails at about £45 so I must decide on the extra cost, but it is much more what I was thinking of.

I will look a bit more at the PSU, it seems quite a high wattage requirement for the embedded M/B with an SSD but at the same time this is my first build so following the guidance is probably best.

With two weeks of chemotherapy and Christmas I’ll go a bit silent probably but please don’t think I don’t appreciate your suggestions.

Stevo_

Master of Cramming
Jul 2, 2015
The TDP on that processor is 6W, I've run the J3710(6.5W), and J5005(10W) from a 35W Toshiba laptop supply in a Morex 557 case. I think the most I ever measured from the wall was 21W running almost exact same RAM/SSD combo. I would just get a 65W if it makes you feel better, but it's still overkill.

cleveland

Master of Cramming
Sep 8, 2016
Hey, @SFF EOL, first of all good luck with your treatment. I hope you get better soon.

Also, as a matter of SFF, i really like your project. I'm running a project much like yours (mobos with embedded processors): a cheap, budget friendly sff PC, for the sole purpose of playing MOBAs (dota 2). The idea is to get the best embedded CPU which supports DDR3 memory and have at least x4 PCI-e slot, so i can pair with a LP 1030 (2030, anyone? :)).

Reactions: el01

SFF EOL

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Dec 9, 2018
The TDP on that processor is 6W, I've run the J3710(6.5W), and J5005(10W) from a 35W Toshiba laptop supply in a Morex 557 case. I think the most I ever measured from the wall was 21W running almost exact same RAM/SSD combo. I would just get a 65W if it makes you feel better, but it's still overkill.
Thanks for that, like you I can’t see the need for the suggested 150W power brick. All it is going to have is the board, an SSD and memory. I suppose also the USB power.

Now you’ll wish you hadn’t spoken, the MB manual says the connector has to be 7.4mm external and 5.1 internal- where inner contact is 19V VDC and the shell is GND.

Does this match that spec?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Skyvast-46...875&sr=1-6&keywords=19v++7.4mm+laptop+charger

I just want your opinions, I realise nobody can say it definitely will work.

SFF EOL

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Dec 9, 2018
Hey, @SFF EOL, first of all good luck with your treatment. I hope you get better soon.

Also, as a matter of SFF, i really like your project. I'm running a project much like yours (mobos with embedded processors): a cheap, budget friendly sff PC, for the sole purpose of playing MOBAs (dota 2). The idea is to get the best embedded CPU which supports DDR3 memory and have at least x4 PCI-e slot, so i can pair with a LP 1030 (2030, anyone? :)).
MY M/B only has a PCIe2x1 so no discrete graphics are realistic.

However as I have 3 projects on at the moment (one is an mATX) I noted you can get AMD RX550 for between £80 to £100 (sort of the same in $) and that is sort of just short of a GTX1050 performance wise but better than the 1030.

It sort of crossed my mind that the Athlon 200GE can be overclocked (with the right MB) but is still rubbish without a graphics card- if there was a suitable ITX board though then it might make for an interesting budget build.

I haven’t checked out the realities, such as available low profile RX550 and MB so the idea may be dead in the water but I thought I’d mention it.

Stevo_

Master of Cramming
Jul 2, 2015
Thanks for that, like you I can’t see the need for the suggested 150W power brick. All it is going to have is the board, an SSD and memory. I suppose also the USB power.

Now you’ll wish you hadn’t spoken, the MB manual says the connector has to be 7.4mm external and 5.1 internal- where inner contact is 19V VDC and the shell is GND.

Does this match that spec?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Skyvast-46...875&sr=1-6&keywords=19v++7.4mm+laptop+charger

I just want your opinions, I realise nobody can say it definitely will work.

IMO 150W for that mobo and what you'll be running is bonkers. Yeah, for that connectorI think they round up/down many times so you'll see the connector sometimes depending on male or female side listed as either 5.0, 5.08, or 5.1mm for the center. You can find DELL laptop adapters all day log as well for cheap 40 or 45W and up. I'm typing this from an Asrock J5005 mobo based system running from a DELL laptop 90W(free from work for work laptop) and it's not even warm to the touch (the model below exactly). But I've been running the J3710 system off the Toshiba adapter model pa3743u-1aca (turns out only 30W) without issue as well.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/I15-3091RE...45198939&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=dell+aa90pm111

Reactions: dealda

SFF EOL

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Dec 9, 2018
I ordered a 90W as linked above, then checked the Crucial website and they think I need 150W as well- bugger.

I still don’t see it myself for this build, but I’ll have to find out the hard way now. All parts are on their way- I have a spare PSU to get it to boot which is the main thing.

I'm going off the idea of laptop power supplies quite fast to be honest.

SFF EOL

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Dec 9, 2018
I’m looking for internal 90 degreee USB2 header adaptors, so they get turned into conventional USB2 sockets just internally. Normally I use the cable type but now I’d really need right angle ‘plugs’ as I want to fit a white USB2 stick to light the case and the case is very small.

Am I making any sense? Does such a thing exist? If comes to it then it is a soldering iron but that isn’t a skill I really possess- it is all new to me as I’m not used to such small cases.

As they were less than £2 I ordered 3 to allow for two errors, I only need one in the case.

ETA:

Found this, but it still needs a proper socket and I don’t like the colour;

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Right-Angl...2&sr=8-9&keywords=internal+usb2+adaptor+cable

Think I’ll go with a shortened cable, just solder it mid-point to avoid the detail and sleeve the cable as it will be black and I’ll want white/UV ideally- or just white for budget. Probably have something in a box somewhere.

Anyway I might start a new thread soon if that is OK with the moderators? That way I can outline my build, I realise it won’t be much of a lesson to a lot of you but it might be useful to those newer members looking to avoid the mistakes I will make.

Last edited:

Stevo_

Master of Cramming
Jul 2, 2015
I've only seen something like that in black as another color on ebay from China of course, 2 styles. But there are also some small boards and adapters that come right off the motherboad header in pic below, available for usb 2 or 3 headers might be a bit cleaner think it's closer to what you were describing

https://www.ebay.com/bhp/internal-usb-adapter

Reactions: cleveland

SFF EOL

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Dec 9, 2018
Just picked this up from eBay for £35;

CiT MTX-007B Mini-ITX Case 180W PSU Black Interior VESA Mountable

They bid against themselves, but I know that game and they later came back and accepted my top price I think as they bid all the way up to £50 in the last 2 minutes trying to find my max bid (which was £35).

All I’ve heard about CiT is questionable PSUs, is that correct? The case fitted closer to my more utility/industrial look compared to the other two cases I have that I feel are better suited to more interesting motherboards/CPU set ups (don’t get excited I’m talking this generation 20xxG)

The PSU is 180W so is overkill if it is any good at 180W, but I’ll have to see. Now of course I have another laptop brick on the way that I don’t need so I haven’t really saved money overall.

But I now have a case, 8GB of DDR3, the motherboard, the SSD and that will be enough to build the system and either keep it or more likely try and sell it on towards building a 2400G based ITX with that fancy Chinese Perspex case (it isn’t fancy, it is fragile, but it was cheap and looks good). And I have one more case that is crying out for what we used to call a home media system which has a noticeable scratch on one side, not through to the metal but distracting, so that case will get a simple mod to hide the sin and get similar treatment with a 2200G if money and time allows.

Meanwhile I am still building that mATX, waiting on the CPU fan to arrive as I realised last night that the one, I have is missing a fin, so it’ll vibrate. I might post an image of that when it is finished as it probably qualifies as the worst, yet serviceable, PC I have built in 15 years. The case is ugly, I bought it while under the influence of morphine (which is allowed with cancer, you aren’t supposed to drive but you are allowed to shop for PC cases).

So no more eBay purchases, time to commit.

SFF EOL

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Dec 9, 2018
IMO 150W for that mobo and what you'll be running is bonkers. Yeah, for that connectorI think they round up/down many times so you'll see the connector sometimes depending on male or female side listed as either 5.0, 5.08, or 5.1mm for the center. You can find DELL laptop adapters all day log as well for cheap 40 or 45W and up. I'm typing this from an Asrock J5005 mobo based system running from a DELL laptop 90W(free from work for work laptop) and it's not even warm to the touch (the model below exactly). But I've been running the J3710 system off the Toshiba adapter model pa3743u-1aca (turns out only 30W) without issue as well.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/I15-3091RE...45198939&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=dell+aa90pm111

I have a clear small ITX perspex case I want to build so I’m having to be fussy about everything (I’m sure that’ll change when I realise the effort needed). I have found a 3” silver braided cable that is USB2 header to USB socket, the socket is black but I could paint that and it would allow me to ‘hide’ the USB light somewhat.

If it was just a heavily vented black case though then the headers you suggest would make sense- although I normally use the cables and go straight through the case with mATX/ATX- bit old school these days what with USB3/3.1/USB-C. Now we just use PCIe cards.

Thanks for the suggestions though, always useful.

ETA: sorry quoted wrong reply, was replying as concerns internal USB headers.

Last edited:

SFF EOL

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Dec 9, 2018
Link to the CIT case above;
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/273593698235 Paid £35.

The case with no name, anyone know the brand, it came well boxed but no instructions, haven't had a good look for identifiers yet as it will be my 2nd project, don't trust the PSU so that will probably be swapped out.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mini-ITX-case-power-supply-and-dvd-drive-/254007050412?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&nma=true&si=jyQunHbN1pcRMXgPrnBcJZs0U7I%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc

And the Chinese plastic kit, again £35 but you have to build it and the 'perspex' is thin, that will be my final build I suspect.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lcdmod-Kit-Acrylic-Clear-Mini-ITX-Case-for-Intel-i3-5-7-Processor-I0AA-M2-GB/223218002659?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2648

And, I suppose I should, cover your eyes, the ugliest case I have ever bought and with no rational explanation either; It has some fans is the best I have come up with. Really I have no excuse for this, it will devalue the internals.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CiT-F3-Black-Blue-Micro-ATX-Tower-Gaming-PC-Case-USB-3-0-12cm-Blue-LED-Fan-mATX/401232151027?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Stevo_

Master of Cramming
Jul 2, 2015
BBTW, swapped the 30W Toshiba to the j5005, no problems. That has a 5.5mm/2.5mm plug but both DC-DC plugins take that, have conversion cable for the Dell 90W from 7.4 -> 5.5.

The first CiT case looks very close to an InWin BQ656, clone maybe or OEM. The internal supplies IIRC from reviews tended to be noisy as any small supply normally is with a 40mm fan.

https://www.inwin-style.com/en/computer-chassis/bq-series/APAC

Reactions: SFF EOL

SFF EOL

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Dec 9, 2018
BBTW, swapped the 30W Toshiba to the j5005, no problems. That has a 5.5mm/2.5mm plug but both DC-DC plugins take that, have conversion cable for the Dell 90W from 7.4 -> 5.5.

The first CiT case looks very close to an InWin BQ656, clone maybe or OEM. The internal supplies IIRC from reviews tended to be noisy as any small supply normally is with a 40mm fan.

https://www.inwin-style.com/en/computer-chassis/bq-series/APAC
I knew I’d seen the case somewhere before but knew it wasn’t CiT as I only remember the better known brands. Little point in putting up with a noisy PSU on a passive embedded motherboard. Might consider swapping out the fan, I’ve done that before with some success using a Noctua- that was in servers but still 40mm fans. Made a real difference noise wise but then the rest of the PSU was good quality so it was worth the effort.

Thanks for giving me the link, it will be interesting to see how different it is to the In Win in quality.

SFF EOL

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Dec 9, 2018
My j3710 is completely open ;) not a cheap way to go though, this will house my j5005 eventually

Like what you’ve done with the M.2 NAND. What PCIe is that running off- I am considering only using M.2 for future builds as it cuts down on cables and looks ‘cleaner’. It’ll be a definite once I start using 2000G based systems as the motherboard comes with the M.2 connection. For this build I don’t really have a spare M.2, well I have a relatively slow WD one that is run as my boot drive for my main PC and that needs upgrading, maybe once I sell the mATX system as I should make at least £80 profit on that.

What is the riser board you used out of interest?

Case is interesting, is that a self build?

Saying all that I suppose you have a build log I should be reading.