Chimera Industries Cerberus: The 18L, mATX, USA-made enclosure

loader963

King of Cable Management
Jan 21, 2017
I was trying out the Asus AI Overclocking. It put a 38% bump on the 9900K. In Prime95 Small FFT, the CPU was hovering around 80c. The temperatures and noise were actually acceptable. I was surprise that bottom intake is actually quite decent in the Cerberus. However, at that OC, the power consumption was over 240w. I tried a few other tests, but all of a sudden the PC froze. I thought no biggie - let's dial back this OC manually, and get the PC back to a stable state. Did a hard shutdown.

Upon turning the PC back on, the PSU would click, fans spin for a half second, and then turns off.
It was too late in the night to start troubleshooting. I just hope it's not the PSU (new Corsair 600w Platinum), or the MB (new Strix Z390i)... :(

Did you try to clear the bios with the button in the rear io panel? Sometimes with my z370-i I had to clear it when I got too aggressive trying to OC and had the same symptoms you are describing.

Reactions: Nanook

loader963

King of Cable Management
Jan 21, 2017
The first time, I put it between the GPU and the bottom rad at the back. However, I changed it to between the two radiators in bottom front when I changed up the loop as I thought it looked cleaner. No pics of the changed one, but it turned out nicer imo.

Reactions: TheHig

Nanook

King of Cable Management
May 23, 2016
Did you try to clear the bios with the button in the rear io panel? Sometimes with my z370-i I had to clear it when I got too aggressive trying to OC and had the same symptoms you are describing.
Yes, the only way to get the motherboard to boot is to unplug the cmos battery. This was a huge pain in the ass with the massive VRM heatsink-i/o shield combo on the Asus Z390i.

Reactions: loader963

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
did you remove the PCIe mounting cover before installing? o_o just to check

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
it's alright, LOL. trivial mistakes are nothing

EDIT: for reference, the reason why there isn't a cover for most other cases is because the mounting tabs are inside the case rather than outside, so that's not a thing in those cases

Last edited:

sjug

Cable Smoosher
Mar 8, 2018
Once our handle delay is over and the coupon for OptimumTech expires we will be getting on NewEgg. I need to check back in with Joshua / Dan / Wahaha about SFFLAB - they have a lot planned and a bunch of projects, will see where this falls.

It's been another few weeks since the coupon expired, what's happening with NewEgg?