What did you do today?

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
nooo not X201 :(

today I had work also. wasn't as bad, just that the district bought the cheapest DisplayPort to HDMI dongles ever and some teachers were having screen issues. also, the laptops provided are blasphemous to the glorious ThinkPad: they don't even have center clicks on the trackpoint buttons and they're silver (gasps).
Those laptops are probably HP EliteBooks. Not bad but like with Dell Latitudes and Lenovo ThinkPads, I have lost faith in them.

Received a bunch of stock for Lux Industries, as well as a NFC S4M :D
Ooooooh!

Just went through round #3 of my job interview (lasted 1h30). Made it to round #4, technical tests XD.

This will take the form of either a coding game or an interview with a technical guy. Finger crossed.
That. Is. Awesome! I'm rooting for you!

el01

King of Cable Management
Jun 4, 2018
Those laptops are probably HP EliteBooks. Not bad but like with Dell Latitudes and Lenovo ThinkPads, I have lost faith in them.

Ooooooh!

That. Is. Awesome! I'm rooting for you!
two words for you:

panasonic toughbook.

XD

(yep, they're "elitebooks")

Reactions: Soul_Est

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
two words for you:

panasonic toughbook.

XD

(yep, they're "elitebooks")
YAS! I coveted the business focused ones when I got my first IT job.

Today was mostly working on computers. Primary job is a HP shop. I worked on seven EliteBooks of the same model to try and get more than one working one in more pristine condition. I changed the address that the device I ordered is going to. The device has not gone out yet despite confirming that so I'm not sure what will happen there. I am now on a week "mandatory" vacation as vacation days don't roll over. One of my colleagues is "jealous" given the time they have to work before they get theirs. I suggested that they check with HR to amend their employment agreement. So yeah, I'll be on here more often next week.

el01

King of Cable Management
Jun 4, 2018

Today was mostly working on computers. Primary job is a HP shop. I worked on seven EliteBooks of the same model to try and get more than one working one in more pristine condition. I changed the address that the device I ordered is going to. The device has not gone out yet despite confirming that so I'm not sure what will happen there. I am now on a week "mandatory" vacation as vacation days don't roll over. One of my colleagues is "jealous" given the time they have to work before they get theirs. I suggested that they check with HR to amend their employment agreement. So yeah, I'll be on here more often next week.
(GASPS)

HERETIC! STALLMAN WILL CURSE YOU!

XD

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
going through my laptop to empty it out and finally install W10 and Mojave. cleaning out the windows partition was pretty quick but within expectations (since it's used as a porta editing machine). next day I'll properly empty it out and then start moving mountains

point of no return time ,_, hopefully my time machine back works just enough to undo the partitioning workarounds for that hybrid MBR setup
(if OSX is in order before Windows 7 you can't add a partition after them, but if Windows 7 and a separate space partition is first then you can install OSX after them. thank goodness Windows 10 left the inflexibility of MBR ,_,)

EDIT: yay it survived! time to get windows 10 up

Last edited:
Reactions: el01

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017

Enjoy your vacation, though!

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
Welcome to my world.
YOU WERE THERE?! OMG I THOUGHT I WAS ALONE ¡-¡

EDIT: seriously i feel less horrible for myself now ,_, all the frustration i had with trying to make that thing work

making plans to transition away from using a mac now (yes i have a PC and that's my 90% machine). problem is figuring out using an iPhone on a windows environment. getting photos out painlessly would be an issue

man the prices on laptops are pretty steep these days ,_, that problem I'll leave it to when i need one again

Last edited:

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
YOU WERE THERE?! OMG I THOUGHT I WAS ALONE ¡-¡

EDIT: seriously i feel less horrible for myself now ,_, all the frustration i had with trying to make that thing work

making plans to transition away from using a mac now (yes i have a PC and that's my 90% machine). problem is figuring out using an iPhone on a windows environment. getting photos out painlessly would be an issue

man the prices on laptops are pretty steep these days ,_, that problem I'll leave it to when i need one again
I meant in the case of getting Windows 10 to work as it's supposed to. You could get an off-lease or refurbished business-grade laptop. I agree on you with new laptop prices. I can build the equivalent to a Huawei Matebook D 14 (cheapest Ryzen Mobile laptop yet) with more.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
I'm trying to get used to a new way to hold my mouse going from using my index and middle finger (2nd and 3rd) for left and right mouse button, to index and ring finger (2nd and 4th). This because the former means I have two unused fingers dragging on the right of my mouse, often causing friction when swooping to the right.

It's difficult to fight many years of muscle memory, but the biggest issue is that I often just forget to hold it the new way.

Solo

King of Cable Management
Nov 18, 2017
I went to get a new bed for my dog. I ended up pacing back and forth in the store only to find myself having a staring contest with a chameleon because I couldn't decide what to get my dog. Then I left the store.

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
I went to get a new bed for my dog. I ended up pacing back and forth in the store only to find myself having a staring contest with a chameleon because I couldn't decide what to get my dog. Then I left the store.

Who won?

(The staring contest.)