Production AM4 Brackets for CPU Coolers (C7 + others)

T_Tank

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 16, 2017
Would totally be interested in a proper big shuriken 2 rev b am4 mount. I'd take measurements but that mean I have to undo my noctua bracket Jerry rig and be without a heatsink

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
@Thehack If you order those, do you have a vague timing for it ?

DEC/JAN time frame is what I'm looking at. I'll have to double check the details and place an order in a few weeks.

Would totally be interested in a proper big shuriken 2 rev b am4 mount. I'd take measurements but that mean I have to undo my noctua bracket Jerry rig and be without a heatsink

Yes, that's a good idea as well. Did you have to drill out your noctua bracket to make it fit? A proper Big Shuriken 2 bracket would be good.

I'll be making a small order to see if there is some demand on it and then make ones for the Big Shuriken 2.

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
With the release of the Black Ridge cooler at 48mm, do you guys see a purpose of this anymore? at 48mm, it comes with AM4 support out of the box. It is also only 61mm if you use a slim fan on top, making it very close to the Big Shuriken 2.

T_Tank

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 16, 2017
Yeah I had to drill out the bracket prices that bolt directly to the heatsink and use the noctua backplate not super ideal as the screws to the backplate rub just barely.
Really not ideal but I can't complain with the results in cooling even with air flow reversed so it doesn't fight the exhaust fabs

DwarfLord

Average Stuffer
Oct 13, 2018
DEC/JAN time frame is what I'm looking at. I'll have to double check the details and place an order in a few weeks.
Thanks for the answer ! I'll go ghetto-mod in the meantime, wish me luck :cool:

With the release of the Black Ridge cooler at 48mm, do you guys see a purpose of this anymore? at 48mm, it comes with AM4 support out of the box. It is also only 61mm if you use a slim fan on top, making it very close to the Big Shuriken 2.
There is still some cases where 48mm is too much, as in my case with the M350 (44mm free space, and even 40mm max with fan on top of the cooler if you don't want to have the fan making awful noises from the proximity with the top of the case). But it would be totally understandable not to do it anymore for such a niche market ;)

Skinz

Caliper Novice
Aug 19, 2018

Dan said in his post that the Black Ridge was 2C cooler than the l9, and considering that to be under 48mm, it needs a fan underneath, then there could still be a demand for this, unless a lot of people swap to VLP ram.

Skinz

Caliper Novice
Aug 19, 2018
Alright. I'll get a small batch made and see how that goes. I'll place the order in the next batch of stuff.

Just so I am being accurate, below is the quote from Dan. Hopefully he doesn't mind me putting it over here. The performance with vlp looks very good, but I calculated for me to get decent vlp for ryzen, it is $US 240, not even counting shipping to Aus. I'd be curious to see how a C7 would perform with the better mount, plus a duct and a noctua a9x14. Maybe the LP53 too, if the cost is worth the performance.

*snip*
Btw here are some results of the Black Ridge made on an erlay sample I god month ago from EKL:

L9i @ 2400rpm = 63°C
Black Ridge (default 92mm fan) @ 2400rpm =61°C
Black Ridge + A12x15 (120mm fan under fin package) @1800rpm = 52°C
Black Ridge + A12x15 (120mm fan above fin package) @1800rpm = 50°C

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Just so I am being accurate, below is the quote from Dan. Hopefully he doesn't mind me putting it over here. The performance with vlp looks very good, but I calculated for me to get decent vlp for ryzen, it is $US 240, not even counting shipping to Aus. I'd be curious to see how a C7 would perform with the better mount, plus a duct and a noctua a9x14. Maybe the LP53 too, if the cost is worth the performance.

I would say it may not be worth it for a C7 in a Dancase, since the issue is that it is too close to the side panel.

What case do you have?

Reactions: fabio

Skinz

Caliper Novice
Aug 19, 2018
I would say it may not be worth it for a C7 in a Dancase, since the issue is that it is too close to the side panel.

What case do you have?

Currently getting my build lined up (work takes too much time in my life). I am leaning towards the Dan Case, but potentially may get something like the Skyreach, but the PSU options are what is holding me up (Want to run a vega 56 and either a Ryzen 2600 or 2700).

Skinz

Caliper Novice
Aug 19, 2018

What case do you have?

Do you think it is worth it for an l9a? I am tossing up between the l9a and the C7 for a 2600.

TheHig

King of Cable Management
Oct 13, 2016
Do you think it is worth it for an l9a? I am tossing up between the l9a and the C7 for a 2600.

I ran a 2600 just fine in the S4 mini with the L9a. I also tried the C7 in a Node 202 and found the fan to be unpleasantly loud.

Right now the L9a or i is tough to beat for low profile cooling.

Reactions: fabio

Skinz

Caliper Novice
Aug 19, 2018
I ran a 2600 just fine in the S4 mini with the L9a. I also tried the C7 in a Node 202 and found the fan to be unpleasantly loud.

Right now the L9a or i is tough to beat for low profile cooling.

Cheers for that. I think I will get the L9a, maybe with the TY-100 fan and duct, i just cannot find any data on if it gives an improvement.

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
I've ordered a set of C7 brackets.

I need to test how it fits first. And see if there is enough interest in putting a large order.

Big shuriken 2 is in the works if the C7 version sells.

Last edited:

Skinz

Caliper Novice
Aug 19, 2018
I've ordered a set of C7 brackets.

I need to test how it fits first. And see if there is enough interest in putting a large order.

Big shuriken 2 is in the works if the C7 version sells.

Cheers for the update @Thehack I am inspired by your Skyreach build, and am actually doing a build soon with a 2600x and L9a. Did you notice much of an improvement with the Ty-100? Also, looking at your Skyreach build, do you think the L9a would fit on AM4 when mounted differently? Judging by the ty-100 it looks like it might not?

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Cheers for the update @Thehack I am inspired by your Skyreach build, and am actually doing a build soon with a 2600x and L9a. Did you notice much of an improvement with the Ty-100? Also, looking at your Skyreach build, do you think the L9a would fit on AM4 when mounted differently? Judging by the ty-100 it looks like it might not?

Thanks!

I did not notice much of an improvement, it certainly is 100% less brown though ;)

The L9a would not fit if rotated 90 degress (for proper exhaust airflow). The cooler is actually about 115mm lengthwise. Fin length 110mm. I think the TY-100 helps with a bit more performance, but I can't say because I am not a tester.