Cutting Skyreach 4 Mini to fit the Scythe BS2 Rev.B - 58mm?

HYPERTiZ

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Feb 5, 2018
So the 2x8GB 3200MHz Corsair LPX RAM came today so it'll give my Scythe BS2 Rev.B clearance and speed no doubt.
Problem that just came to mind is to not only cut but to not make it jarring - unless I cut it 'evenly' via skylots it'd probably have a big hole - but with the precise measurement - the cut should good enough that it'll look like that the fan is looking like its a part of the case.

HYPERTiZ

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Feb 5, 2018
To update on the post -

Swapped my mate's 8700k he brought off me since he has a non Z board - which he now has my delidded 8700 instead which is much more suitable - So I went ahead to delid the 8700k but testing at home idle mid 45c - when opening chrome tabs it jumps to 60c then calms down a few seconds later...

When I play RPCS3 Skate 3 I seem to get mid 80s or almost 88c playing skate 3 on RPCS3 - not sure if its the TiM or the LM - I remember it hitting stock nearing mid 90c or borderline 98c - hopefully its just bad TiM application and lack of proper pressure due to the white washers. I'd like to avoid the C7's backplate as it seems a pain and doesnt want to install properly? - Not sure whether it really bends the MB so I thats why I used the washers to avoid bending - unless however its actually safe.

Last edited:

HYPERTiZ

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Feb 5, 2018
Apparetly washer is bad but im using a Z370i so it probably wont fit without crusing the chips?...

if wanted to I could have the case loosely installed but not shut tight so I can remove the case side panels to run the scythe cooler when using it - from there I can test the temps - if the Scythe BS2 Rev.b can do 60/70c max temp full use should mean 10c room to do a decent OC plus downvolt too (which I dont know how to do successfully - which will greenlight my idea of modding my case to cut it - will check it out tonight when I get home - will also send snaps of my currently build right now so people who are interested in the Cryorig C7.

https://www.reddit.com/r/sffpc/comments/5xx1ac/psa_to_cryorig_c7_owners_use_the_backplate/

kittysox

Cable-Tie Ninja
Aug 8, 2017
The cryorig cu has the absolute jankiest mounting system of any cooler I’ve ever used. I would never use one of those on my motherboard, it’s beyond awful

Reactions: Nanook

HYPERTiZ

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Feb 5, 2018
Just installed the Scythe BS2 Rev.B onto the 8700K will test it later in the night. it reports a nice 29c bios temp compared to 43c with the Cryorig C7 with White Washers so definitely good news there. I may have to take of the side panels and or the fan when in use or transporting as the heatsink is 46mm tall - it shouldnt squash the heatsink - mainly because im not screwing the side panels back on until I find out how to aqquire dremel, measure accurately and SAFELY cut it.

As usual ITX can be a pain - only took a few minutes to slide the cooler into place blindly - but once one was slowly screwed it I knew it was ready to go in place.

Huge props to the design of the case overall - allowing a huge cut out = allowing extremely easy access to the components. I don't even have to disassemble the entire PC - I can just literally flip it upside down & install it - the supplied black rubbers with the CPU Cooler are a life-saver to hold the backplate inplace to install - went smoothly.

Last edited:
Reactions: owliwar

HYPERTiZ

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Feb 5, 2018
The cryorig cu has the absolute jankiest mounting system of any cooler I’ve ever used. I would never use one of those on my motherboard, it’s beyond awful
its really bad compatibility even the washers too - it provided poor contact. Probably why the 8700k was hot opening chrome at 60c then idling back to 45c. wtf. terrible.

I'll leave my side panels off it means better much better cooling with a Scythe BS2 Rev.B temporarily VS pain and hassle with Cryorig C7 (non CU) PiTA setup with the washers..

Setup atm with side panels off showing the clearance of the CPU Cooler

Last edited:

HYPERTiZ

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Feb 5, 2018
'Measuring' with a 120mm x120mm square trace of the stock fan and a crappy photoshop potential outlook

dumplinknet

Airflow Optimizer
Jan 26, 2018
I have a suggestion that might be more accurate than what You're about to do.
1. Make a shallow shroud out of cereal box and fit it around the heatsink. Strap it down using rubber band. But ensure its tall enough to sit higher than the side panel, but short enough that it will sink lower than the side panel when you put it on.
2. Put some sort of wet ink (paint, maybe?) on the very tip of the top of the shroud.
3. Lower the s4m panel into position as accurately as possible.
4. Lift the panel back up and out .
5. Use the marking on the underside of the panel as your reference for cutting.
6. Profit from precision cutting a heatsink through the side panel.

Reactions: HYPERTiZ

Instran0

Master of Cramming
May 31, 2017
cut the case to fit a Scythe BS2 Rev.B - Im expecting the fan to stick out as that is 12mm thick - but the heatsink should theoretically be at the edge of the case's enclosure or probably wont close assuming its heatsink is 46mm. (stock cooler and fan - 58mm)

JMO, but you're going to ruin your SkyReach case cutting it.

instead if you want, i can send you 4 metal pieces that will raise your sidepanel, high enough to fit this fan.

HYPERTiZ

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Feb 5, 2018
JMO, but you're going to ruin your SkyReach case cutting it.

instead if you want, i can send you 4 metal pieces that will raise your sidepanel, high enough to fit this fan.
That's actually a more sound idea - how's that going to work? Definitely would save me from cutting the beautiful case for sure. It'd be a great compromise for sure!

in the event the scythe fails or somethin - I'll be using these as replacements https://www.ozgameshop.com/case-fans/prolimatech-ultra-sleek-vortex-12-computer-case-fan fan 14mm thick + 46mm heatsink = 60mm. Just not sure how those metal pieces you've proposed works?

IF I do plan to cut it'd be adding a grill ontop of it to subtly blend the fan into the case's aluminum colour & to protect it I guess in addition to spraying the sides of the fan to be silver.

Last edited:

Instran0

Master of Cramming
May 31, 2017
That's actually a more sound idea - how's that going to work?

i'm currently working on making a 48mm fan fit in my SkyReach, so i had 4 metal pieces made that were 7mm tall.

standard height for SkyReach is 64mm, fan clearance is 44mm.

44mm + 7mm = 51mm.

revised height for SkyReach would be 71mm.

so if i sent you 4 metal pieces that were approximately 16mm tall instead, your fan would fit.

i picked 16mm, because an airpocket of about 2mm is recommended.

i can't go over 16mm approximately.

Last edited:

HYPERTiZ

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Feb 5, 2018
hmm that sounds perfect actually - it'd mean I could give it a shot too even with the additional side panel - how does the metal pieces look - I was always a visual person - so I'm really intrigued.

I live in Australia - so if the shipping is too much I can foot it for you - let me know what you want to do with the metal pieces and the side panels - what do you mean by extra powercoated - unless you mean the same as the SR4 Mini's Side Panels?

Last edited:

Instran0

Master of Cramming
May 31, 2017
hmm that sounds perfect actually - it'd mean I could give it a shot too even with the additional side panel - how does the metal pieces look - I was always a visual person - so I'm really intrigued.

I live in Australia - so if the shipping is too much I can foot it for you - let me know what you want to do with the metal pieces and the side panels - what do you mean by extra powercoated - unless you mean the same as the SR4 Mini's Side Panels?

i didn't know you lived in Australia, i would have to get someone else in the USA, to send it to you.

see your PMs for photos.

HYPERTiZ

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Feb 5, 2018
i didn't know you lived in Australia, i would have to get someone else in the USA, to send it to you.

see your PMs for photos.

Sorry should have mentioned though - that's important - You think it'd still be worth to cut if I use an alum fan grill on top to conceal and spray paint the sides of the fan silver?

Last edited:

Instran0

Master of Cramming
May 31, 2017
Sorry should have mentioned though - that's important - You think it'd still be worth to cut if I use an alum fan grill on top to conceal and spray paint the sides of the fan silver?

no.

my 1st solution was for you to find a friend on SFF Forum, that lives in the USA, & then have them ship these 4 metal pieces to you.

as a last resort, i can arrange something myself for the metal pieces.

however, i would highly prefer solution #1 - do you have any USA friends ??

HYPERTiZ

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Feb 5, 2018
no.

my 1st solution was for you to find a friend on SFF Forum, that lives in the USA, & then have them ship these 4 metal pieces to you.

as a last resort, i can arrange something myself for the metal pieces.

however, i would highly prefer solution #1 - do you have any USA friends ??

I don't have any American friends sadly. With the metal pieces would I be required to mod the case to accommodate the metal pieces and the sidepanel (to hold them in place as seen in the images you PM'd me?)

Instran0

Master of Cramming
May 31, 2017
I don't have any American friends sadly. With the metal pieces would I be required to mod the case to accommodate the metal pieces and the sidepanel (to hold them in place as seen in the images you PM'd me?)

you were considering cutting a hole in your SkyReach, that's approximately 100mm.

my method uses extra holes for screws, as a modification, that might be less than 1mm.

i don't think its even a close comparison.

you can PM me, & i'll setup shipping.

HYPERTiZ

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Feb 5, 2018
you were considering cutting a hole in your SkyReach, that's approximately 100mm.

my method uses extra holes for screws, as a modification, that might be less than 1mm.

i don't think its even a close comparison.

you can PM me, & i'll setup shipping.

It'd save the drastic non-repairable modding of the case's side panel for sure.

HYPERTiZ

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Feb 5, 2018
I'll probably just remove the top panel or move it slightly to increase the clearance - and I'll just remove the fan when moving it.

For now. Then consider actually cutting it :p Perhaps with a North Geelong shop that could cut them out.
Or I can try myself unless I need more safety gear besides gloves, mask and plastic goggles

Last edited:

HYPERTiZ

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Feb 5, 2018
As an update to the post im trying to scout out places that can professionally cut it for me. If that fails - I'll just do it myself by buying a dremel kit and safety gear like perhaps plastic glasses, gloves and long sleeve.