PCIe to MXM - A new challenger appears!

thewizzard1

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Jan 27, 2017
Wanted to share this fun little thing I found on Alibaba, then Ebay with some keyword cross-searching.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-PCI-E-...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

It's a standard MXM 3 to PCIe 1x adapter. Should be fast enough for most midrange (75W MAX! Haha) cards over the kinda short interface, and may be especially handy for those adapting to m.2 or installing it on a PCIe extender anyways.

thewizzard1

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Jan 27, 2017
Just wanted to share an update with folks - The adapter arrived, it's getting all the power it needs (3.3v / 5v / 12v diag LEDs) but no PCIe device is being detected by Windows. Maybe I have a few bad cards floating around, maybe it doesn't like MXM-A, maybe something else. I'm not sure.

The unpopulated 20-pin connector on the bottom seems to be wired to DP-4 (DP / eDP) but I haven't confirmed that yet.

Reactions: VegetableStu

thewizzard1

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Jan 27, 2017
Another update - The unpopulated connector physically is exactly Mini-HDMI (ID'd by the pairs and power connection), not DP. I will be identifying where it connects (I still think it's connected to DP-4), and work will continue.

Last edited:
Reactions: VegetableStu

thewizzard1

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Jan 27, 2017
Another update - The PWR_GOOD connector on PCIe is not connected - Maybe this is the fault? It's buried under the MXM, so perhaps it's connected wrong someplace, or just a bad solder joint. I'll be adding a new wire tomorrow.

The MXM card heats up, but no detect occurs... Weird.

thewizzard1

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Jan 27, 2017
Thank you for testing this out!

If you can't figure out your current problem, I have another question for you:

Will it blend? :D
Hey now! I have a 1070MXM to blend, this adapter will be my bitch before I peel off it's gold fingers!

Also, the PRSNT pins aren't connected. Who made this junk? Oh yeah, it's cloned in China!

thewizzard1

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Jan 27, 2017
Soldered up those missing pins (PRSNT_L and _R) and no dice. I'm going to connect the SMBUS pins and cross my fingers.

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
I'd wonder if the adapter is providing enough power - an x1 slot is only supposed to be able to put out 25W! Is there a supplementary power connector on the adapter or MXM card?

thewizzard1

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Jan 27, 2017
I'd wonder if the adapter is providing enough power - an x1 slot is only supposed to be able to put out 25W! Is there a supplementary power connector on the adapter or MXM card?
No, but I'm using 25-35W MXM-A cards. And it should still detect, but possibly fail under load.

rawsh

Caliper Novice
Jun 24, 2018
Wanted to share this fun little thing I found on Alibaba, then Ebay with some keyword cross-searching.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-PCI-E-to-MXM-3-0-Graphics-Expansion-Card-75W-MAX-for-Mining-ETH-ZEC-ETC/323266307084?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

It's a standard MXM 3 to PCIe 1x adapter. Should be fast enough for most midrange (75W MAX! Haha) cards over the kinda short interface, and may be especially handy for those adapting to m.2 or installing it on a PCIe extender anyways.

Can you recommend a motherboard for this? I guess it's just nuc stuff?

Also, got a link for the 1070MXM :D?

thewizzard1

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Jan 27, 2017
Only got mine working with 1 card of 5 MXM-A cards I had floating around. It supposedly works fine in any PCIe slot, mine worked in an x16 and an x1 slot well enough when it did work.

Just do an Ebay search for 1070 MXM :) There are 2 different types - For normal MXM, and MXM modules for Clevo - The latter are very different.

Killinger

Average Stuffer
Jun 25, 2018
I was watching a Linus Tech video where he was working on an upgradable Alienware computer. In it, he implied that Alienware needed to create their own cut-down 2080 because MXM was no longer going to be supported as a form factor according to Dell. Does anyone know if that might be true? This project seems too good to pass up.

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
I was watching a Linus Tech video where he was working on an upgradable Alienware computer. In it, he implied that Alienware needed to create their own cut-down 2080 because MXM was no longer going to be supported as a form factor according to Dell. Does anyone know if that might be true? This project seems too good to pass up.
But the digital storm spark uses an MXM 2080

3lfk1ng

King of Cable Management
SFFn Staff
Bronze Supporter
Jun 3, 2016
www.reihengaming.com
Leading up to CES everyone was telling us that the MXM format was Dead.
Even last year, SilverStone was even telling us that STX was dead.

It wasn't until we spoke with DigitalStorm that they confirmed that they are using MXM RTX-series GPUs.
They didn't mention their supplier (cause he wasn't 100% certain) but I believe that @||| is looking into it. @PlayfulPhoenix was there to see the unit as well.

We all walked away impressed.