Greetings

Hi,
I am from Germany and recently got into Itx (again).
I just finished my (kinda) new PC with mostly used stuff:
Cooltek U2
I5 3450 undervolted
ARock B75m Itx
8gb Ddr3 Ram
Gigabyte 1060 3gb with a Noctua 90mm pwm fan
Noctua U9B SE
Sharkoon Sfx modular psu 500w
Samsung 2,5 " 256 ssd

Still needs some work, but it went pretty well.
I am going to switch the fan on the 1060 with a 120 fan since the NF-A9 gets to loud at 60% (but at least it does not rattle like the stock fan)

This is actually my second attempt on an Itx build.
I tried fitting a FM2 Apu with an internal custom Waterloop (2x120 radiators) two years ago.
It failed before it really started because the mainboard got lost in the mail (the first and only time this happened) and then the another motherboard (biostar -.-) broke.

So clearly this project was cursed, though I am still thinking about doing something like this with an 2400G.

Have a nice day

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Welcome to our forum ! Swapping out the fan below the GPU is a good idea, it looks like even a 140mm would still fit ?

Reactions: dealda

dealda

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Oct 20, 2018
Welcome to our forum ! Swapping out the fan below the GPU is a good idea, it looks like even a 140mm would still fit ?
I did a bit of testing today with several 120mm 3 pin fans (Noiseblocker Eloop, Enermax Magma and two others).

Suprisingly, all of them perform way worse (79-82°C under load) compared to the Noctua NF-A9 Pwm (68°C).

Although a possible cause might be that I did not attached the 120mm fans.
Then again i put two bequiet 80mm fans under it and now the temps are better (77°C).
All of the fans ran full speed the entire time.
While a 140 mm should fit under it, I am considering a second NF-A9 attached to the card.

I am also going to switch th psu fan with either a noctua or a Silverstone fan (depending on my budget).

Finally I need to attach my SSD properly aka taping it to the case.

Reactions: Phuncz

RichMasTa

Cable Smoosher
Oct 26, 2018
Hi / Servus dealda,

Did you make some progress?
I just examined the last photo of your case. If I am not mistaken the case fan and the cpu fans are all creating airflow to the right (front). From my experience you could benefit by getting rid of the hot/used air by pointing your fans the other way.
That way should as well reduce some noise, as the PSU is not the only exhaust any more -> less heat = less PSU fan noise :thumb:
The case itself isn't airtight and has enough gaps for fresh (cold) air to get in.

I think you should test the GPU fans mounted in their final position to get realistic and comparable results. I had an old Arctic Accelero S1 with two 120mm fans mounted to a power hungry AMD HD6950, cooling easily almost silent! - but only after I found a way to get rid of the hot air inside the case.
Looking at your Zotacs cooler, the 120mm fan looks like wasting 30% potential (maximum aiflowr at the outer part of the rotorblades and ZERO in the center(=motor)): BUT, before you're going to buy just a new fan, have a look at a more recent Accelero model: "L2 Plus (92mm)"
Don't be fooled by the compatibility chart: The L2 Plus fits the Zotac GTX 1060 mini (as a review at Amazon.de states - conclusion: significantly reduced noise AND temperature, very pleased!) Sounds like it's worth it ;)

dealda

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Oct 20, 2018
Hi,
Thanks for your reply.

Did you make some progress?
Just a bit, I mounted a Noctua 120mm redux casefan (@7V) to improve the Airflow in the case. I might add a second one in the back to get the hot air out quicker.
And I "mounted" the 92 Noctua on the 1060 again.

Now the temperatures are good again.

Even with an overclocked 1060 (+150/+400) the Gpu was below 75°C and the Cpu around 70°C.

I just examined the last photo of your case. If I am not mistaken the case fan and the cpu fans are all creating airflow to the right (front). From my experience you could benefit by getting rid of the hot/used air by pointing your fans the other way.
I tested this variation in the picture to see if the temperatures are changing, which was not the case. Before that the fans were blowing out the back.

Looking at your Zotacs cooler, the 120mm fan looks like wasting 30% potential (maximum aiflowr at the outer part of the rotorblades and ZERO in the center(=motor)): BUT, before you're going to buy just a new fan, have a look at a more recent Accelero model: "L2 Plus (92mm)"
Yeah, i actually thought about buying the bigger version with heatpipe and a 120mm fan.

Tomorrow I am going to add the other fan in the back, which will hopefully help getting the heat out of the case more efficiently.

But for now I really need to go to sleep.

RichMasTa

Cable Smoosher
Oct 26, 2018
OK, that's good news!

[I think I will stick to Noctua as well...exclusively (even if others may dislike the color - no need for a discussion here :p)]

Well, I have to admit I have examined your pictures and found something else to talk about:
At your screenshot with the temperatures I spotted SpeedFan running -> but all your temps are "on fire" - CPU under 60°C is not what you would call "burning hot" ;)
I don't know how or IF you configured the program:
The standard behavior is: ALL fans on MAX SPEED if current temperature exceeds desired temperature (-> flame symbol). To set the right temps for your system (and peace of mind and ear ;)) simply open "Configure" and in the very first tab "Temperatures" click on the monitored temperature-"label" (e.g. CPU) and set the right values in the box "Desired" and "Warning". Desired is for the expected temperatures if everything is behaving normal (under load!). This is important for quick visual check with three symbols at the main GUI: A blue arrow pointing down, a green checkmark and a red arrow pointing upwards.
When exceeding the set "Warning" temperature you will get the FLAME symbol and all fans at max speed as explained before.
If you need further assistance, like making custom (PWM) fan curve profiles and picking the right sensors and values for your motherboard I can help you via PN (in german as well ;))

I looked for some pictures of your case online and have to admit that in my eyes it makes zero sense to mount a fan at the front bracket as there seem to be no vents at all o_O Simply bring the Nocuta Redux over to the rear (as an exhaust) and be happy!

My first thought was mounting the bigger Accelero Mono Plus as well! BUT you should definitely be aware: This thing is B I G
  • Size: The outer dimensions are 14x14cm. If it doesn't fit "in line" with the graphics card (e.g. because of some components) you will need to turn in 90 degrees and then it will extend the width of the card by more than "a little". Have a look yourself "Mono Plus mounted GTX 1070" From what I can estimate by looking at these pictures it could easily be that in the end you won't be able to close the panel anymore :oops: You could measure the space you have left when you card is mounted to be sure. Measure the distance from one of the two screws (of the GPU cooler) wich are closer to you and the sidepanel (just flip the panel over and have it lying where you need to measure). If you have more than 78mm you should be on the save side. If you got the tools in your hand have a look at the available height as well: 51mm of cooler to be fitted -> plus some extra millimeters for better airflow and less turbulence-noise [looking at your previous pictures this could be a close call as well]
  • Weight: 350g will putting much more stress to the card and PCIe slot! Some additional feet for the cooler would be a good consideration.

Happy brainstorming and modding :)