RTX 2080Ti with A4-SFX.

Tsuchinoko

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Sep 28, 2018
Hi Guys!
I would like to have RTX 2080Ti FE on A4-SFX.
First of all, please look at the composition of my A4.

CPU: Intel i7 8700K
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-L9i
RAM: Crucial 16 GB (8GB x2)
Motherboard: ASUS Z370-I
M.2: Samsung 970 EVO 250GB
HDD: 2.5 inches WD 4TB
Power Supply: SST-SX650-G 650W

I'd like to put 2080Ti FE in this A4-SFX. But I got a warning from Twitter members. He says that if the combination of 8700 K, 2080Ti and 650 W power supply is used, there is a possibility that the screen may black out when a high load occurs.
Do I need to change to SilverStone's 800W SFX-L power supply?
I would like to hear opinions from other users with 2080Ti.

Thank you for reading my poor English!
My English is very bad. haha

Last edited:

Saici

Caliper Novice
Mar 25, 2017
Source Source2 Gives us an estimate between 90W (stock) and 180W(overclocked to 5.1GHz)
Tomshardware rates the 2080ti at below 300W (288)
RAM, Fans, MoBo and hard drives aren't likely to sum up to 70W,
so even with the CPU overclocked by a good amount you won't hit 650W usage.

Consindering a 9+ performance rating by jonnyguru link you won't run into power problems.

Tsuchinoko

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Sep 28, 2018
Thank you for the Perfect Answer!
I am not interested in other than "FE", so everything was solved with Saici's answer!

But please let me ask a few more questions for other people.
"MSI RTX 2080Ti GAMING X TRIO" requires the most power among 2080Ti. Do you think that this graphics card will function normally with 650W Power Supply?

Saici

Caliper Novice
Mar 25, 2017
Even though you're asking for other people, let me try to explain :)
A graphics card uses two kinds of wattage supplies, one via the PCIe slot it is plugged into (75W) and X via the power connectors plug from PSU into the Graphics card.

The MSI RTX 2080Ti GAMING X TRIO's specification page lists a continous power requirement of 300W and a PSU recommendation of 650W.
Apart from the PCIe slot, your GPU is getting its power from your PSU over the so-called "12V" rail, which is rated at 54.2A
Wattage/Power is calculated by multiplying voltage * amps
So calculating the theoretical power of your 12V * 54.2A we land at somewhere around 650W, which is what the PSU recommendation actually refers to. It doesn't "really" mean you need a 650W PSU, but your PSU needs a certain 12V amperage to supply the GPU - This value is also including some over-provisioning, so the actual power draw of the GPU does vary and may never actually reach 54.2A.

But it does mean you probably don't want to increase its power target by a significant margin on a long term basis (a quality PSU will be fine with bursts beyond it's power rating, but it will wear the components down faster).

What I can tell from a personal experience, though, is that MSI is usually providing it's heavy duty LN2 overclocking cards with 2x8Pin + 1x6Pin and a robust power delivery to, by example, make them break world records, but the card doesn't actually need it to work under normal conditions.

I used to own a couple of R9 290X Lightning cards, and it was the same deal there. Didn't even need to plug in the 6 pin, it was basically just an "if you need fucking insane voltage, there you go" thing.

Tsuchinoko

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Sep 28, 2018
To Arrandale.
I own Corsair SF600. Very quiet and high quality power supply!
I also own the SilverStone SST-SX650-G, but the sound of the fans is noisier than Corsair SF600. haha
However, when introducing 2080 Ti, I feel that the difference of 50W is very large. What do Arrandale think of it?

To Saici.
Thank you for commenting again! It will be helpful not only to me but to other users!
I did not know 6Pin is an option. This is very important information for us.

I can go to SFX-L 800W, but I also want to install Asetek 545LC if possible. Build using 545LC is very attractive.
As Arrandale speaks, SilverStone's power supply is a bit noisy. What does Saici think about Corsair SF600? Do you think it can cover 8700K and 2080Ti well enough? I will not do OC.

Everyone, thank you for commenting!

Arrandale

Trash Compacter
Jan 14, 2018
To Arrandale.
I also own the SilverStone SST-SX650-G, but the sound of the fans is noisier than Corsair SF600. haha
However, when introducing 2080 Ti, I feel that the difference of 50W is very large. What do Arrandale think of it?

To Saici.
Thank you for commenting again! It will be helpful not only to me but to other users!

I can go to SFX-L 800W, but I also want to install Asetek 545LC if possible. Build using 545LC is very attractive.
As Arrandale speaks, SilverStone's power supply is a bit noisy. What does Saici think about Corsair SF600? Do you think it can cover 8700K and 2080Ti well enough? I will not do OC.

If we factor in a worst case power draw of 350W for the RTX 2080Ti, we still have 250W to spare for the Processor and other components. You will not be able to overclock in such a small case anyway, so save yourself the hassle with the SilverStone.
The SF600 is smaller, quieter and more than enough for a 2080Ti and an 8700K.

So yes, Asetek 545LC + SF600 would be my recommendation.

Saici

Caliper Novice
Mar 25, 2017
To Arrandale.

To Saici.

I do think it can handle it, but the Corsair unit is only rated for 50A @12V, so be aware that you're below specification with that MSI GPU. Still, it'll probably be fine.

To be clear, I don't know if the MSI 2080ti will behave the same way as every other 2x8,1x6 Pin it has developed before.
But since the Nvidia specification for RTX2080ti is 2x8Pin, there's a strong chance the 6Pin is optional.

Arrandale

Trash Compacter
Jan 14, 2018
I do think it can handle it, but the Corsair unit is only rated for 50A @12V, so be aware that you're below specification with that MSI GPU. Still, it'll probably be fine.

To be clear, I don't know if the MSI 2080ti will behave the same way as every other 2x8,1x6 Pin it has developed before.
But since the Nvidia specification for RTX2080ti is 2x8Pin, there's a strong chance the 6Pin is optional.

The 650W Spec is always with a lot of headroom because people tend to buy crappy power supplies.

Saici

Caliper Novice
Mar 25, 2017
The 650W Spec is always with a lot of headroom because people tend to buy crappy power supplies.
Yeah, I'm aware and I agree.
There was a time when companies would state their actual 12V Amp needs, unfortunately we can only extrapolate today

Tsuchinoko

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Sep 28, 2018
Thank you for a wonderful discussion! This is very important information for RTX 2080Ti Users of A4-SFX!
I decided on the composition of A4-SFX.

CPU Cooler: Asetek 545LC
RAM: Crucial 16GB (8GB x2)
M.2: Samsung 970EVO 500GB
HDD: 2.5 inches Toshiba 2TB
Power Supply: Corsair SF600
GPU: NVIDIA RTX 2080Ti FE

I have a GTX 1070FE on A4-SFX. Unfortunately I missed the first reservation of RTX 2080Ti FE. I am waiting for the next appointment.
I would like to make Corsair SF600 Sleeve Cable before it arrives!
Thanks Nice Guys!

Reactions: Arrandale

Mistercloudz

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 22, 2018
Thank you for a wonderful discussion! This is very important information for RTX 2080Ti Users of A4-SFX!
I decided on the composition of A4-SFX.

CPU Cooler: Asetek 545LC
RAM: Crucial 16GB (8GB x2)
M.2: Samsung 970EVO 500GB
HDD: 2.5 inches Toshiba 2TB
Power Supply: Corsair SF600
GPU: NVIDIA RTX 2080Ti FE

I have a GTX 1070FE on A4-SFX. Unfortunately I missed the first reservation of RTX 2080Ti FE. I am waiting for the next appointment.
I would like to make Corsair SF600 Sleeve Cable before it arrives!
Thanks Nice Guys!
What are your sleeve length?

Tsuchinoko

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Sep 28, 2018
What are your sleeve length?
Hi Mistercloudz!
I am making three kinds of cables. SATA, CPU 8Pin, GPU 8Pin. Unfortunately these sleeve cables are not yet complete. Refer to the following for the current length.

SATA (A4-SFX front panel): 40cm
CPU 8Pin: 30cm
GPU 8Pin: 40cm

I plan to process the other side while pressing this cable against the case. It will be shorter by about 5cm at the maximum.
I know a shop that specializes in SFF Case's Sleeve Cable. It may be of your help. It also conforms to Asetek 545LC.
https://www.pslatecustoms.com/

Desertf0x9

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 13, 2018
I just built a dancase A4 with a 2700x, and 2080 ti with a Silverstone SX650 power supply. Anytime I was overclocking the CPU and GPU at the same time it would shut off after a few min of gaming. Hell I've even had it shut off with everything stock though it was after awhile. I had a replacement power supply sent out and it was even worse crashed within minutes of overclocking the GPU! Maybe silverstone quality is just terrible? I ended up ordering the new EVGA GM SFX 650 that was just released. Hoping that'll fix it. Otherwise I'm probably going with a lower TDP CPU.

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
I just built a dancase A4 with a 2700x, and 2080 ti with a Silverstone SX650 power supply. Anytime I was overclocking the CPU and GPU at the same time it would shut off after a few min of gaming. Hell I've even had it shut off with everything stock though it was after awhile. I had a replacement power supply sent out and it was even worse crashed within minutes of overclocking the GPU! Maybe silverstone quality is just terrible? I ended up ordering the new EVGA GM SFX 650 that was just released. Hoping that'll fix it. Otherwise I'm probably going with a lower TDP CPU.

I'll be interested in your results with the EVGA unit, hopefully it will be able to handle the power requirements.

HottestVapes

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 13, 2018
I've been running a 2080Ti with a Ryzen 1600 on an SF600 for the past couple weeks without any issues thus far. In terms of overclocking, I'm not heavy into it since I prefer a quieter PC overall. That said I did spend an afternoon overclocking the GPU and CPU and running Time Spy loops, I had zero issues with the PSU.

The CPU was set to 3.85Ghz and roughly 1.26v. The GPU is a Gigabyte Windforce 2080Ti, I maxed the power limit to 111% and ran the core at 1700mhz, with the memory set to 14650mhz.

Desertf0x9

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 13, 2018
The ryzen 2700x does have a much higher TDP than the the ryzen 1600. I dont think its so much the issue of overclocking the windforce as i didnt see raising the power limits do much to it's actual voltage use. I ran my my windforce overclocked with 210 mhz with no issues but it seemed less efficient and began throttling. So it's really the combination of overclocking the 2700x anywhere from 4-4.2 ghz that overwhelms the power supply and adding the overclock to the GPU just made things much worse. Like I said it must be silverstone units cause my replacement unit was absolutely horrible kept crashing within minutes of starting a game.

I also have a 2 TB 2.5 inch SSD, and 2 NVME SSDs so I'm sure it's all contributing to the power draw.

Gustovier

What's an ITX?
Oct 17, 2018
I have 2080 ti and i5 6500 and Silverstone sx500-g. Things worked great with my 980ti. But now I also experience issue where machine will just shut down. I ordered the EVGA 650w sfx power supply as well to hope it makes things better.

Desertf0x9

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 13, 2018
Got my EVGA 650 and it's awesome! I'm never getting a silverstone unit again. So far no issues with my system randomly shutting down. Overclocked both the 2700x to 4.2 ghz and 2080ti to 2000 mhz without power issues. Only problem is mounting the unit in my dancase. The bracket hits the power off switch, you can either file off the plastic shielding of the switch, or what I did was just screw in all the other screws and left that one corner barely screwed in.

I'm now trying to see if I should stick to ryzen 2700x or move over to the intel 8700k or 9600k, given that the 9700k and 9900k seen to be way too much of a heat monster for this small form factor.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
I'm now trying to see if I should stick to ryzen 2700x or move over to the intel 8700k or 9600k, given that the 9700k and 9900k seen to be way too much of a heat monster for this small form factor.
It depends if your games are having a GPU or CPU bottleneck. If you run high resolution with low refresh rate (4K 60Hz), swapping out your Ryzen won't be worth the money. If you run low resolution with high refresh rate (1080p 120Hz) it might make the difference worthwhile (game dependent).