Rumor Possibility of AMD on STX form factor

There are so many frieds discussed about AMD solution on STX form factor.
I told Crew ASRock had one AMD FM2+ 5x5 board....
Let me show off one board I found on my boss's table.

We did a very very quick research during CNY.
AMD 2200G box fan is so high that can't be installed into our chassis.
BUT... how about install CPU fan and heatsink separately? HAHAHA...

Only for fun :D

TinyAudio

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jan 9, 2017
Is it just because I am waiting for a new Mac mini...

Is it coincidence that something like this is leaked at the same time as the apple event at the end of October? Could we see a short term move to AMD pre apple in house cpu 1-2years?

ChinStrap

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 13, 2017
Looking at available hardware I figure if you split a 4 x 8GB BDie G.Skill 3600 MHz RAM kit, pair it with a 2400G and put the whole thing on an HDPlex 160W AC-DC you'd have a pretty beastly little 1080p rig < 2L.

they play Fortnite @ 1440p pretty well too.

ChinStrap

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 13, 2017
Looking at available hardware I figure if you split a 4 x 8GB BDie G.Skill 3600 MHz RAM kit, pair it with a 2400G and put the whole thing on an HDPlex 160W AC-DC you'd have a pretty beastly little 1080p rig < 2L.

also, STREACOM F1C WS is @ 2.98L.

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
My 2400g does great in just about everything, BUT Fortnight. Which is really what you think it would (and should, given the market) be best at.

I can play WoW at 4k on it (and its going to be even better with 8.1), PUBG at 2k, everything else I play great, but it struggles at 2k with Fortnight with settings turned down.

Hopefully we will get some good drivers soon.

el01

King of Cable Management
Jun 4, 2018
My 2400g does great in just about everything, BUT Fortnight. Which is really what you think it would (and should, given the market) be best at.

I can play WoW at 4k on it (and its going to be even better with 8.1), PUBG at 2k, everything else I play great, but it struggles at 2k with Fortnight with settings turned down.

I'm frankly somewhat surprised that PUBG runs better than Fortnite considering (from what I've heard) the lack of optimization on PUBG.

Should I download the cancer of Fortnite (Don't worry if you play, this is a judgement on the game itself, not you as a person) onto my computer to test Ryzen Mobile gaming? I really don't want an Epic account, and I really don't want to deal with adolescents.

My computer is essentially a watered-down 2200GE (or 2200G with waaaaay too much water)

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
If you look at the AMD board you'll see that your layout likely will not work. The SODIMMs have been moved to the underside of the CPU on the A300 board in order to make room for the longer AM4 socket. This will essentially block the Meanwell unit from going there unless you want a very tall PC.

Personally I think the best way to go would be to have the PSU sitting parallel to the bottom of the motherboard. If you can pull that off you should have the system in a bounding box of approximately 180mm x 150mm x 52mm (1.4L).

Reactions: el01

Kmpkt

KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Just realized that A300 is a locked chipset. Pretty much ruins the fun on this board : (

Really hope they release this on a much better chipset (B450 please <3)

Reactions: cleveland and el01

ChinStrap

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 13, 2017

What kind of FPS are you looking for? @1440p I run in the 40s~60s.
Here is my Afterburner read out. FPS on bottom.

Most low settings. AA on med and view distance on epic.

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
What kind of FPS are you looking for? @1440p I run in the 40s~60s.
Here is my Afterburner read out. FPS on bottom.

Most low settings. AA on med and view distance on epic.

Yup, that is my experience too. But with a game like Fortnight I'd really like to lock in 60FPS, but I get dips in the 40s (and occasionally high 30s) too often.

I'm not raggin on it or anything but I think it can be ALOT better given how well the 2400g can do in other Unreal engine games.

E-Rod

Chassis Packer
May 23, 2018
@Josh, please tell me you'll consider making a shortened Skyreach 4 Mini STX case. I absolutely love the design, but I've come to use mine solely with a 2400G + HDPLEX 150W now, with lots of empty space (ironically enough).

Pretty, pretty please? ;)

Reactions: Kmpkt

el01

King of Cable Management
Jun 4, 2018
If you look at the AMD board you'll see that your layout likely will not work. The SODIMMs have been moved to the underside of the CPU on the A300 board in order to make room for the longer AM4 socket. This will essentially block the Meanwell unit from going there unless you want a very tall PC.

Personally I think the best way to go would be to have the PSU sitting parallel to the bottom of the motherboard. If you can pull that off you should have the system in a bounding box of approximately 180mm x 150mm x 52mm (1.4L).

Uh-oh... hopefully the SODIMMs (especially if using high-frequency units) don't overheat...

Just realized that A300 is a locked chipset. Pretty much ruins the fun on this board : (

Even better: X300 AND MXM! Have your cake and eat it too! (or have your overclocking and do it to[o a MXM card])

Therandomness

Cable-Tie Ninja
Nov 9, 2016

Well, A300 is just what the CPU itself has available. I mean, all Ryzen CPUs are essentially SoCs (and I really cannot see anywhere a chipset could go on the board, even the underside looks like it doesn't have enough space). I do think it's an issue of just being unable to fit the chipset anywhere?

Urgannagru

Trash Compacter
Sep 28, 2017
Seen a lot of talk of using the hdplex AC-DC psu with this board, how are folks planning to do that?
I had similar plans originally (along with a large passive extruded heat sink case like someone else mentioned) but I can't see a 4 pin 12v connection that the psu requires or is there a way to convert to a 19v barrel jack to thread out of the case into the back of the board?

Kmpkt

KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
I can get 6 pin to barrel connector cables made quite easily in bulk via HDPlex. You'd simply run the adapter cable out the back and into the barrel connector header on the board.

Urgannagru

Trash Compacter
Sep 28, 2017
Cool, had been looking at trying to make one myself but couldn't find any info to get my head round the wiring required.

davefletch13

Efficiency Noob
Apr 20, 2018
Boooo, looks like they are using vertical mounted SO-Dimms rather than parallel mounted ones. So unless I can get the industrial VLP sodimms any build I make is going to be ridiculously tall for its size :( But it is super cool news that they are actually doing it, I hope the mobo will be on sale on its own, rather than just in one of their minipc's.

Anyway THUMBS-UP for asrock.