Motherboard ODROID-H2 - Intel Gemini Lake J4105 SBC

lhl

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Nov 16, 2015
SBCs aren't a focus for SFFn, but this one has some cross-over appeal I think (especially w/ the big interesting in mini-STX and smaller x64 boards like the embedded Ryzen ones).

First shipments in late November:

- 2.3Ghz Quad-core processor J4105 (14nm) with 4MiB Cache
- Dual-channel Memory DDR4-PC19200 (2400MT/s)
- Total 32GiB RAM Space with two SO-DIMM slots
- 4 x PCIe 2.0 for one NVMe storage
- 2 x Gbit Ethernet ports
- 2 x SATA 3.0
- SSE4.2 accelerator (SMM, FPU, NX, MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, SSSE3, SSE4.1, SSE4.2, AES)
- Intel UHD Graphics (Gen9.5) 600 (GT1) 700Mhz
- HDMI 2.0 and DP 1.2 multiple video outputs

SODIMM slots are flat (below the board, along w/ m.2), although double stacked headers, you probably won't get below 40mm total thickness. Couldn't find the board dimensions, but looks pretty small (UCFF?). 2xGbit ETH and 2xSATA and 2x4K display and full Linux upstream support makes this a pretty nice option for plug and play teeny usefulness.

Here's the fully skinny, which has lots of details, benchmarks, discussion: https://forum.odroid.com/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=32536

BTW, for those that don't need minimum size, someone pointed out that ASRock sells a J4105 mini-ITX board for $73. For those willing to pay more power, the UDOO Bolt still looks like it's on track (between NUC UCFF/mini-STX size, Ryzen 5 2400G level performance).

Choidebu

"Banned"
Aug 16, 2017
Yeah the J4105 proc has been on my radar for a while. Would make a great htpc build. H.265 playback, console emulation, fanless and all. Some NUCs have cropped up as well.

Although there's also its big brother j5005, pentium silver, with better iGpu and ipc overall.

Couldn't find the board dimensions, but looks pretty small (UCFF?).

It's there on the article you linked ;)

ODROID-H2 includes a large heatsink, which will give you a quiet and powerful computing experience.
The size of the board is about 110x110x43mm and weighs about 320 grams including heatsink, two DRAM modules, and M.2 NVMe SSD.

The board looks good - love the ram on the underside! - although no internal ports and power header.. Would not be a clean looking htpc without one.

The biggest draw of this platform is definitely its power consumption. It's amazing for its capability.

I've got some DDR4 kit laying around, noone seemed to want to buy them so this (platform) might be its future home!

AMv8-1day

Cable-Tie Ninja
Feb 13, 2017
Kickstarted the very similar UpBoard Squared SBC last year.
I really like these little toys. Really gives you a chance to play with some cool projects without blowing a ton of money or having to wrangle some enterprise hardware from ebay or something.
These things are great for playing with AI, automation, pretty much any embedded needs you could have. I think they're great for college students or anyone else trying to get their feet wet with programming or the previously mentioned stuff.

Up Squared:
SoC: Intel Pentium Quad Core up to 2.5Ghz N4200
Graphics: Intel HD Graphic 505
System memory: 8GB LPDDR4
Storage capacity: 128GB eMMC
USB 2.0 port: (pin header) x2
USB 3.0 port: x4 ( one OTG)
Ethernet: 2x Gb Ethernet (full speed) RJ-45
WOL: YES
Video output: HDMI+DP
Display interface: 1x eDP
Camera Interface: 1xMIPI-CSI (2 lane) + 1xMIPI-CSI (4 lane)
CEC: optional
Power: input 5V@6A with DC jack 5.5/2.1mm
Operating tempature: 32-140°F / 0~60°C
RTC: YES
PXE: YES
Expansion: 40 pin GP-bus enabled by Altera MAX 10 FPGA + 60 pin EXHAT
mPCI-e x1
M.2 2230 E-key x1
SATA x1
Compatible operating system: Microsoft Windows 10 full version , Linux (ubilinux, Ubuntu, Yocto) • Android
Operating humidity: 10%~80%RH non-condensing
Certificate: CE/FCC Class A, RoHS complaint Microsoft Azure certified
Dimensions: 85.6 x 90mm

lhl

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Nov 16, 2015
It's there on the article you linked ;)

Ahh, yeah, missed that the first skimthrough, even thought I did a search for "mm".

For the lazy: "The size of the board is about 110x110x43mm and weighs about 320 grams including heatsink, two DRAM modules, and M.2 NVMe SSD."

The Up Squared seems pretty decent, although the Chinese NUCs seem to undercut it quite a bit pricewise if you don't need the GPIO.