Production Lazer3D LZ7 - Quiet Gaming Cube PC Case

K888D

SFF Guru
Original poster
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
After doing some measurements, a 545lc 92mm AIO would definitely fit in here with a SFX power supply. Around 64mm, give or take with a Noctua 92mm slim on bottom. It's more of a stabilization issue than anything, would have to jimmy rig something so it wouldn't move or to at least level it out (from tube resistance), if traveling. I'll probably give it a shot once the 9900K 8-core comes out in october. @K888D any suggestions off the top of your head?

Are you saying that you will be mounting the 545lc 92mm on the side of the case in place of a system fan? Or are you saying you will be mounting the AIO to the Top XL-Vent panel? If so where or how will you be mounting the SFX PSU? Very interesting, looking forward to finding out more and seeing how this progresses.

masteraleph

SFF Lingo Aficionado
May 28, 2017
I know that this was sort of covered a few pages ago, but not in any comprehensive sort of way- is there any possibility of fitting the new HDPlex 400w AC-DC, the 400w DC-DC, and the U9s? Let's start with the assumption of no 2.5" drives to make that easier for starters.

octiny

Chassis Packer
Jul 26, 2018
Are you saying that you will be mounting the 545lc 92mm on the side of the case in place of a system fan? Or are you saying you will be mounting the AIO to the Top XL-Vent panel? If so where or how will you be mounting the SFX PSU? Very interesting, looking forward to finding out more and seeing how this progresses.

I'm saying it fits directly under the SFX PSU in similar fashion as a normal air cooler, except the radiator wouldn't have any mounting points for screws ....it would just be sitting there. Measurements are fine all-around with a slim 92mm attached to it, tubes are extremely bendable. Airflow for the 545lc definitely would be a little better than say a Dan A4. Came up with a few ideas, so I'll give it a go in Oct!

K888D

SFF Guru
Original poster
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
I know that this was sort of covered a few pages ago, but not in any comprehensive sort of way- is there any possibility of fitting the new HDPlex 400w AC-DC, the 400w DC-DC, and the U9s? Let's start with the assumption of no 2.5" drives to make that easier for starters.

I don't think this would be possible unfortunately, the AC-DC unit is quite deep and I don't think there would be sufficient gap in between the 2 units to fit a tower cooler, especially once you factor in the socket position needing to sit exactly in the middle of the gap.

Take a look at the photo below, the HDPLEX AC-DC can only be mounted to the front panel, which means the HDPLEX DC-DC would need to be swapped over to the rear panel:

So you would end up with a configuration similar to this:

Another layout option is to instead mount both the HDPLEX AC-DC and DC-DC units to the top panel, which increases the CPU clearance up to around 90mm compared to the SFX layout, with the added benefit of potential to install a rear 92mm fan, like this:

I'm saying it fits directly under the SFX PSU in similar fashion as a normal air cooler, except the radiator wouldn't have any mounting points for screws ....it would just be sitting there. Measurements are fine all-around with a slim 92mm attached to it, tubes are extremely bendable.

OK understood, however I'm not sure I see the advantage to this setup over for example the NH-L12S air cooler. One of the major advantages to AIO's is that you can dump the CPU heat directly out the case which prevents heat re-circulation and in turn keeps temps lower during prolonged heavy usage, but in this setup the heat will be being dumped back into the case in a similar fashion to a standard air cooler.

I've not read any test data for the 545LC 92mm AIO, so I can't really comment on how well it would compare against something like the NH-L12S in the same conditions, it would definitely be an interesting experiment to find out, but my gut is telling me that you won't see any significant improvement in temperatures compared to a similar sized heatsink that is conventionally air cooled.

escape-to-88

Efficiency Noob
Jul 25, 2018
This case looks lovely, and was thinking about picking one up. My build will mainly be for emulation which is based almost solely on clock-speed, as a result I'll more than likely O/C. Air flow and temp-wise is this advised on these? I did check out the no compromises build with the 8700k, I'm just realistically thinking about temps in the long-term.

K888D

SFF Guru
Original poster
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
This case looks lovely, and was thinking about picking one up. My build will mainly be for emulation which is based almost solely on clock-speed, as a result I'll more than likely O/C. Air flow and temp-wise is this advised on these? I did check out the no compromises build with the 8700k, I'm just realistically thinking about temps in the long-term.

Overclocking is not something I have personally experimented with, but from the feedback I have received over the last 12 months I believe there is some room to play with and you can achieve some mild overclocking on both the CPU and GPU.

When using an SFX PSU the Big Shuriken 2 and the NH-L12S are good coolers that will allow for some mild overclocking, the biggest limiting factor is how loud you are prepared for the fans to get.

When using a DC-DC PSU configuration you can install a tower cooler like the Noctua NH-U9S which should allow you to carry out some very decent overclocking on the CPU, but your limitation in this configuration is the power supply itself. Your power brick (AC-DC Adapter) will likely be the weak link, currently the Dell 19V 330W is the top choice for this configuration, so that gives you an idea of how many watts you have to play with, once you factor in the GPU you may find your getting close to or even exceed the 330W capacity.

K888D

SFF Guru
Original poster
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
I'm thinking of introducing Bamboo solid wood Front and Side panel options for the LZ7 as I've managed to find a supplier in the UK that offers this material in 5mm and 3mm thickness. Would this be something that interests you guys? The material is a lower price than the other solid wood options so it may also be viable to offer the side panels as well, or even the top panel but not sure about this one.

These are some prototypes I had made a while back by another laser cutting company, I wasn't happy with the burn marks around the cuts which is another reason I was put off from using this material for production (most obvious in the third photo below), but I think with what I've learned over the last 12 months I will be able to reduce these scorch marks significantly making them myself:

The Bamboo also goes quite well combined with white panels and corners. Let me know what you think.

lasek

Average Stuffer
Feb 22, 2017
It looks great, gives more build options and even full wood for the nature enthusiasts. Pretty sure it goes well with white corners as well.

That pops a question in my mind. Having more and more SKU to manage (production/distribution) comes at a price. Have you considered offering a couple of full sets variants at a lower price ?
(to reach new customers, or decide existing ones to get both dark & light bases)

K888D

SFF Guru
Original poster
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
That pops a question in my mind. Having more and more SKU to manage (production/distribution) comes at a price. Have you considered offering a couple of full sets variants at a lower price ?
(to reach new customers, or decide existing ones to get both dark & light bases)

Those are some good points, this is why we are trying the set SKU model with the HT5. I will see how that goes once its launched and it maybe something we can introduce next year some time.

In terms of the more options and SKU's to manage, well Overlockers are asking for extra design options to add to their configurator, so the Bamboo and wood side panels was the first thing that came to mind.

masteraleph

SFF Lingo Aficionado
May 28, 2017
I think it could be really nice, pending a reduction in the scorch marks (which are pretty prominent there). Would love to see it with some white.

Reactions: K888D

Geran Brown

Trash Compacter
Mar 2, 2017
Does anyone have two spare SFX power supply panels in midnight black? I have the HDplex panels but I've changed my mind since I don't think the Dell power supply will be enough for my wife's and I systems.

K888D

SFF Guru
Original poster
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
Does anyone have two spare SFX power supply panels in midnight black? I have the HDplex panels but I've changed my mind since I don't think the Dell power supply will be enough for my wife's and I systems.

What spec of system are you building?

I might be able to help with the panels, but you'll need to pay postage from the UK.

Kdrs0122

Caliper Novice
Aug 28, 2018
Has anyone tried putting a Radeon RX Vega 56 nano in this case? I know it's a little bigger than the R9 nano so I'm just curious to see if it fits. Having trouble finding the dimensions online. Thanks!

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
Has anyone tried putting a Radeon RX Vega 56 nano in this case? I know it's a little bigger than the R9 nano so I'm just curious to see if it fits. Having trouble finding the dimensions online. Thanks!

It is a standard length mini ITX card so it should fit.

Reactions: Biowarejak

Majestic

Average Stuffer
May 12, 2018
I have a Vega Nano in my LZ7 case. It fits, but it does take up a bit more space. Also, expect it to run about 5c hotter than the R9 Nano if that's what you're upgrading from.

Reactions: K888D

Wilfus

Case Bender
Aug 29, 2018
Being vaguely new to the world of more esoteric and refined PC building, but not completely unaware of the RGB phenomenon I’m not sure where to start…

Can someone recommend me some simple and ‘tasteful’ light strips or modules for the case?

I have an AsRock Fatal1ty Z370 Gaming ITX which has 3 lights on it so how much do you need to supplement that?

Essentially what I want is a little gentle lighting that could show a simple dash of orange or red or blue or white depending on my mood. I don’t need blinking or matching what’s happening in-game or any other super effects.

Doing a quick search gets up some seriously long strips. When the case is barely 23cm long that seems pointless.

Just 2 12cm strips?

Or purely some RGB RAM?

Thanks

K888D

SFF Guru
Original poster
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
Being vaguely new to the world of more esoteric and refined PC building, but not completely unaware of the RGB phenomenon I’m not sure where to start…

Can someone recommend me some simple and ‘tasteful’ light strips or modules for the case?

I have an AsRock Fatal1ty Z370 Gaming ITX which has 3 lights on it so how much do you need to supplement that?

Essentially what I want is a little gentle lighting that could show a simple dash of orange or red or blue or white depending on my mood. I don’t need blinking or matching what’s happening in-game or any other super effects.

Doing a quick search gets up some seriously long strips. When the case is barely 23cm long that seems pointless.

Just 2 12cm strips?

Or purely some RGB RAM?

Thanks

Welcome to the forum!

First thing to think about with adding RGB lighting strips is your wiring, the case has limited space for cabling and adding light strips will add to the cable bulk of your system. It is of course possible, but it will make it more difficult wire up. 2 short light strips up to 180mm long would be nice, 1 either side of the case perhaps attached to the underside of the top panel.

Personally though I would try and stick to components that have RGB built in, like you mentioned such as the RAM, motherboard and case/cpu fans. Hope that helps.

K888D

SFF Guru
Original poster
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
BAMBOO

Small update, received the Bamboo material, its a lighter shade than the previous Bamboo panels I've had made.

The main thing is I managed to reduce the amount of burn marking but couldn't completely eliminate it. On the other wood materials I use the burn reside can be wiped off, but on this bamboo material the residue becomes ingrained into the wood surface and cannot be wiped off. You could probably sand it, but not sure if this is practical for production.

Anyway, here is a phone camera shot of the test panel, let me know what you think:

Dragon7

Cable Smoosher
Aug 4, 2018
Welcome to the forum!

It looks like it should fit, but can't say for 100% sure sorry.

Thanks!
My case has finally arrived (fast shipment, btw!)

The case itself is very well-engineered, with great attention to detail!
It feels like zen - I can’t think of anything to make it better.

Also, Gigabyte 1080 ITX taken from external Aorus Gaming Box fits just fine.

Unfortunately, some components are still in transit because our customs only allows 1000 euro per month. Hopefully in a month I’ll post photos of completed rig on pcpartpicker (and a link here).
There will be different variants of white + cherry open and/or with dust filters, with rgb strips and rgb fans.

I mean, this case allows unparalleled versatility, it’s sort of like Lego )

Last edited: