General Chat Thread

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
Anyone knows a movie in which a desktop (SFF or not) plays a minor or major role in the plot? I am not talking about mainframe but actually a PC desktop. So, no HAL9000 or Skynet.

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
@jtd871;
-Just after the last time your parents lifted you up for the last time
-The moment you realised the world wasn't all fun and games
-Around when you left your childhood home for your own
-And other depressing moments in retrospect.

In reality, nobody should ever truly "grow up". They should just grow. We change due to the experiences we encounter, the effects people have on us, the health, social, spiritual and emotional pressures we go through. Everyone deals with them differently, some choose to bottle it up, some choose to vent, some choose to run.

I chose to never truly "grow up". I enjoy playing, be it with computers, cars or even toys like Lego and RC stuff. We live in a world now that is accepting of these things - we can be in our mid 30's, 40's or what have you and still enjoy many of the things we did as children or adolescents, without it being socially unacceptable as it was in days of old (see Comic Con, YouTube, etc etc). This is a privilege that previous generations never had - there was always the pressure to "be an adult" and throw away fun in pursuit of arbitrary goals of 2.5 kids, a family home in the 'burbs, a 9-5.

Grow how you want, not how everyone around you thinks you should, i.e. "grow up". Life is a gradual journey, not a step-wise mission to hit certain milestones by a certain age.

Choidebu

"Banned"
Aug 16, 2017
Lately I've been thinking that there's no such thing as "grown up". Like ADHD, autism and depression, it's more like a spectrum. Growing up means accepting that nobody really is, except for, of course, Chuck Norris. He's way up there for certain.

Reactions: el01

el01

King of Cable Management
Jun 4, 2018
@jtd871;
-Just after the last time your parents lifted you up for the last time
-The moment you realised the world wasn't all fun and games
-Around when you left your childhood home for your own
-And other depressing moments in retrospect.

In reality, nobody should ever truly "grow up". They should just grow. We change due to the experiences we encounter, the effects people have on us, the health, social, spiritual and emotional pressures we go through. Everyone deals with them differently, some choose to bottle it up, some choose to vent, some choose to run.

I chose to never truly "grow up". I enjoy playing, be it with computers, cars or even toys like Lego and RC stuff. We live in a world now that is accepting of these things - we can be in our mid 30's, 40's or what have you and still enjoy many of the things we did as children or adolescents, without it being socially unacceptable as it was in days of old (see Comic Con, YouTube, etc etc). This is a privilege that previous generations never had - there was always the pressure to "be an adult" and throw away fun in pursuit of arbitrary goals of 2.5 kids, a family home in the 'burbs, a 9-5.

Grow how you want, not how everyone around you thinks you should, i.e. "grow up". Life is a gradual journey, not a step-wise mission to hit certain milestones by a certain age.
Also around the age of seven, when children start to realize that the world isn't centered around them. Unless you're me ;)

Reactions: Biowarejak

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016

on a seprate thought: why don't GPU makers use the smaller near-itx PCB layout and slap a regular length heatsink on it? I'm thinking the exposed side would let more airflow through and not have the stacking heat problem ._.

will draw a diagram later, my PC's transcoding again ,_,

EDIT: downtime! here:

Last edited:

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017

on a seprate thought: why don't GPU makers use the smaller near-itx PCB layout and slap a regular length heatsink on it? I'm thinking the exposed side would let more airflow through and not have the stacking heat problem ._.

will draw a diagram later, my PC's transcoding again ,_,

EDIT: downtime! here:
They do, you just have to find them. It isn't usually a selling point though

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Reactions: VegetableStu

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
quick question: what do you call mATX boards that's the width of ITX boards? (or anything that's shorter in width than square mATX boards) o_o

Smanci

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Apr 21, 2017
Another thought on GPU cooling - why do they keep making ridiculously long cards with those whiny tiny fans? Slightly taller 2,5 slot cooler can keep the chip and pcb just as cool, or cooler, while the card doesn't have to be more than 15cm in length.

jtd871

SFF Guru
Jun 22, 2015
Another thought on GPU cooling - why do they keep making ridiculously long cards with those whiny tiny fans? Slightly taller 2,5 slot cooler can keep the chip and pcb just as cool, or cooler, while the card doesn't have to be more than 15cm in length.

There isn't a good "standard" categorization for AIBs that exceed the normal physical limits set by PCI-SIG for "full-height" cards. Maybe there ought to be.

Reactions: Phuncz