The Chimera MachOne: For the pros. Small meets flexible.

Wahaha360

a.k.a W360
SFFLAB
NCASE
SSUPD
Feb 23, 2015
I recently built inside the lian li pcq38, its amazing how the mach one is the same size but can fit an matx motherboard. Since the computex display unit had a full custom loop inside it, I'm curious: what was the total system weight?

33 or 35lbs.

prava

Cable-Tie Ninja
Mar 21, 2017
You might want to take a look at the Koolance 280 radiator. It’s 30 FPI vs 16 FPI on the HWL.

Higher density radiators require high pressure fans if you want them to perform any better. They are the bane of any system that you build with the intention to run silently. They were never designed for that.

They start to outperform low density fans once you crank the fans north of 1500rpm, in general. So... pointless if you like a quiet system.

Although current high-end gpus are very quiet. which is why I love my current 1080 STRIX.

I wasn’t counting man, but I know it’s been a while.

I suppose I am ok with 25C above ambient temp, a minority in water cooling I suppose.

25ºC above ambient is a terrible idea. Your coolant is also cooling your pump, and such high temps can't be any good. I wouldn't run anything above 20ºC Delta for security reasons.

But still, if you look at 500W dissipation power you are doing it wrong. Such a load is simply not a realistic one no matter the oc you apply, not for single-card systems anyway. 350W, on the other hand, is pretty much the highest you will be able to realistically have into a system with a single gpu as a constant load. But more than that? Without syntetic benchmarks? I doubt it.

uniqz

Cable Smoosher
Jun 7, 2018
25ºC above ambient is a terrible idea. Your coolant is also cooling your pump, and such high temps can't be any good. I wouldn't run anything above 20ºC Delta for security reasons.

That depends on the ambient temperature I guess. From what I know 50°C is a point where some of the plastics used in water cooling components start to weaken. DDCs are rated at max. 50°C as well, while D5s are rated at 60°C iirc. If you have ambient temperatures that regularly rise above 25°, everything above 20° delta would be risky, if you are in an ACed room you can get away with 25° delta I'd say. For me 20° would be the limit since it can get pretty warm in my gaming room during summer.

ChrisMCP

Trash Compacter
Jun 16, 2018
The 140mm fans are near the same level as the GPU I/O. The 140mm fan at the top should take care of the moving the hot air to the back and out of the case.
Well, so that means there will be no separation, right? I mean there will be no way to attach the IO plate fro the mobo?

Kooki

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 30, 2016
I just remembered about the difference in the mounting hole between ITX and mATX mobos.
What is the chosen solution to workaround those differences in the MachOne?

Wahaha360

a.k.a W360
SFFLAB
NCASE
SSUPD
Feb 23, 2015
Higher density radiators require high pressure fans if you want them to perform any better. They are the bane of any system that you build with the intention to run silently. They were never designed for that.

They start to outperform low density fans once you crank the fans north of 1500rpm, in general. So... pointless if you like a quiet system.

Since Darthbaggins is looking for something better than Delta fans, the bar is low enough that the Koolance 280 30FPI radiator on Corsair or Noctua fans should still be better.

Wahaha360

a.k.a W360
SFFLAB
NCASE
SSUPD
Feb 23, 2015

That depends on the ambient temperature I guess. From what I know 50°C is a point where some of the plastics used in water cooling components start to weaken. DDCs are rated at max. 50°C as well, while D5s are rated at 60°C iirc. If you have ambient temperatures that regularly rise above 25°, everything above 20° delta would be risky, if you are in an ACed room you can get away with 25° delta I'd say. For me 20° would be the limit since it can get pretty warm in my gaming room during summer.

I have the EK-XRES 140 DDC 3.2 PWM Elite and EK-SBAY DDC 3.2 PWM. The EK-XRES 140 DDC is rated for 60C, I wonder if the heatsink on the EK is allowing it to go 10C higher than the other DDC without.

uniqz, I didn't know the tubing will start to fail at 50C, schooled indeed. You would think the tubing would have equal or higher temp tolerance than the pump, but good to know.I learn something new everyday.

But still, if you look at 500W dissipation power you are doing it wrong. Such a load is simply not a realistic one no matter the oc you apply, not for single-card systems anyway. 350W, on the other hand, is pretty much the highest you will be able to realistically have into a system with a single gpu as a constant load. But more than that? Without syntetic benchmarks? I doubt it.

I should have been more clear. The 500W target is for benchmarking. As you mentioned before, it's very rare to have the CPU and GPU at full load during real work usage.

So if I can get to either < 25C delta @ 750RPM push-pull, or < 15C delta @ 1300RPM-push pull for benchmarks, I don't see real work usage being an issue.

I will be overclocking my 7900X to 4.5ghz in addition to my Titan XP. Based on this AnandTech article. The system power consumption with 7900X OC @ 4.5ghz + GTX980 is 294W. The Titan XP may be 90W hotter at most, so say 400W to be safe. If I tried a little OC on the Titan XP, that will push it to 500W.

A lot of pros don't OC for stability reasons. So without OC, a i9-7980XE and *two GTX 1080 FE should be between 500-600W. So the 500W target is also for this.

Last edited:

Wahaha360

a.k.a W360
SFFLAB
NCASE
SSUPD
Feb 23, 2015
Well, so that means there will be no separation, right? I mean there will be no way to attach the IO plate fro the mobo?

Unfortunately, the I/O plate cannot be attached.

Without the motherboard I/O plate, you have the freedom to increase the space between back of mobo and the mobo tray using different standoffs. This means adjustable cable mgmt space. In order to get this cable mgmt space, I had to sacrifice the motherboard I/O plate mounting.

If the Mach One didn't support windows, cable mgmt is not a big issue. However, if you are going to have windows, cable mess is going to be in direct view. So I designed the case to hide cables behind mobo, which means the distance between the mobo and mobo tray will change, that also means it's not practical to design a bracket to mount the mobo I/O plate.

Reactions: Kooki

Wahaha360

a.k.a W360
SFFLAB
NCASE
SSUPD
Feb 23, 2015
I just remembered about the difference in the mounting hole between ITX and mATX mobos.
What is the chosen solution to workaround those differences in the MachOne?

Only Gear 1 and 2 supports mATX, and the mounting hole for both mITX and mATX are in place. Standoffs are used so people have discretion which holes to mount.

Reactions: Kooki

wovie

Trash Compacter
Aug 18, 2015
If you are running *one dual slot GPU in Gear 1, there is 46mm gap between the back of the fan and the GPU shroud. That should be more enough gap to allow for air to flow.

If you are running *two dual slot GPU, I'm inclined to tell people to go for Gear 2 or Gear 3.

Good to know, looking forward to getting my hands on it!

wovie

Trash Compacter
Aug 18, 2015
Noctua rep at Computex looked over the build and told us the Sterrox 120mm will outperform my current Noctua Chromax 140mm. So we will try that as well. They are also working on the Sterrox 140mm. I would imagine that will only perform better.

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
oh right the sterrox 140mm: I realise it's probably a prototype, but looking at the footage the motor hub looks smaller than the one on the 120mm o_o

uniqz

Cable Smoosher
Jun 7, 2018
I have the EK-XRES 140 DDC 3.2 PWM Elite and EK-SBAY DDC 3.2 PWM. The EK-XRES 140 DDC is rated for 60C, I wonder if the heatsink on the EK is allowing it to go 10C higher than the other DDC without.

uniqz, I didn't know the tubing will start to fail at 50C, schooled indeed. You would think the tubing would have equal or higher temp tolerance than the pump, but good to know.I learn something new everyday.

Did not know that about the EK-XRES. Either the heatsink is working pretty well or EK upgraded something in the pump.

To be clear about the 50°, I don't mean that there will be holes in the tubes at 51° of course. And it will strongly depend on the exact material that the specific type of tube is made of, but those tubes are essentially made of rubber and rubber becomes softer when it heats up. What can happen for example is that a tube goes soft enough that it can slip out of a pressure fitting if the tube is under some tension by, say a tight bend or something like that. I have read about those things happening and they usually correlate with setups that use small radiators and thus high water temperatures. Is it a problem of cheap tubes and/or fittings? Maybe. Another thing is that the gaskets of water blocks and reservoirs can eventually fail. This is even more plausible since those gaskets are usually a softer rubber material anyway.

But since a lot of other DDCs are rated at 50°, I think that is a reasonable maximum temperature to have anyway.

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015
For Gear 3, I'm trying to get *two 140x25mm + *two 140x15mm + 280x55mm radiator to work.

They are also working on the Sterrox 140mm.

Gear 3 is for full loop water cooling.

oh right the sterrox 140mm: I realise it's probably a prototype, but looking at the footage the motor hub looks smaller than the one on the 120mm o_o

Noctua rep didn't think the Mach One with Nemesis 280GTX need push-pull using just the 120mm Sterrox, I can only imagine what the 140mm Sterrox will do.

Can we all take a minute and bow our heads in prayer to the Fans Gods, asking them to deliver black Sterrox fans (or, black frames & grey fans for that Gentle Typhoon look)...?!?

@Wahaha360

So, the emphasized above, that adds up to 95mm of cooling thickness; meaning one could run an EK CoolStream CE 280 radiator (45mm thick) with push-pull 140x25mm fans...!?!

Reactions: cmyk78 and Obelisk

Wahaha360

a.k.a W360
SFFLAB
NCASE
SSUPD
Feb 23, 2015
Can we all take a minute and bow our heads in prayer to the Fans Gods, asking them to deliver black Sterrox fans (or, black frames & grey fans for that Gentle Typhoon look)...?!?

@Wahaha360

So, the emphasized above, that adds up to 95mm of cooling thickness; meaning one could run an EK CoolStream CE 280 radiator (45mm thick) with push-pull 140x25mm fans...!?!

yes, I’m trying to get to 96mm or cooling thickness without increasing the size, just moving things around right now. Currently 94mm.

Reactions: Narcosis00 and Boil