NFC cases used for non-gaming situations (audio)

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
It can certainly be used for that, if you mind to select the right components to minimize fan noise, electrical noise and signal noise. If I remember correctly, Josh did the research to make sure the case openings minimize EMI emissions, something I think many commercial case manufacturers don't even do.

Reactions: calvinpp

calvinpp

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Dec 9, 2017
Yes the case is brilliant and for audio use (assuming you are fine with a 65w tdp CPU), a Noctua NH-L9i (or the AMD variant) and an SSD drive is perfect for studios and home studios. I've looked at tons of itx cases and this is the only one that balances power, portability and aesthetics (most itx cases don't 'feel' like they are itx cases as they try to accomodate full size power supplies and full length GPUs)--even for gaming, the 211mm allowance gives this case a lot of flexibility for selecting graphics cards.

It can certainly be used for that, if you mind to select the right components to minimize fan noise, electrical noise and signal noise. If I remember correctly, Josh did the research to make sure the case openings minimize EMI emissions, something I think many commercial case manufacturers don't even do.

Reactions: Phuncz

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
I'd like to see more non-gaming builds on the forum - ITX is still a very versatile form factor :)

Reactions: owliwar

aquelito

King of Cable Management
Piccolo PC
Feb 16, 2016
If you have an external DAC and want a fanless case close to the S4M, you could give also give a shot to Thin ITX and the Akasa Galileo fanless case.

Reactions: calvinpp

LFO

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 23, 2018
My build is all about Audio & Video. SKYREACH 4 MINI (S4M)
Maybe I should re-post my current considered build list in a separate thread as I'm still trying to figure out some things like what RAM to choose, GPU and how to get a Firewire connection into this build through the m.2 slots.

I chose the S4M for it's size, fits right into my laptop bag along with a portable screen. But I quickly noticed the other aspects of building a small sized workhorse, connections, cooling, noise, and powering the thing in a brick-less way didn't seem that easy. With the HDPLEX 400 watt coming up this is solved by now. Still my deadline was April to have a new system, and that's far gone by now...

Cheers!

Reactions: calvinpp and Phuncz

calvinpp

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Dec 9, 2017
If you have an external DAC and want a fanless case close to the S4M, you could give also give a shot to Thin ITX and the Akasa Galileo fanless case.
I've actually got 2 audio interfaces (one built in to my midi controller and an RME USB interface). In the future, I'll probably shrink it a bit more and start really looking at these GPU-less cases since it'll be for audio only (Inwin Chopin or an HDPlex or this Akasa?)

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
Hey all,

Just figured I'd put this link onto here as a majority of SFF Forum is heavily gaming focused. I actually got the Skyreach for music production due to the size and the fact that it can fit right on a table and blend right in and it looks like I'm not the only one with this idea:

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/music-computers/1186717-rme-pci-vs-pcie-differences.html

Getting rid of electrical noise for some types of audio equipment can be a pain in the butt and generally I try to convert to digital before going into the machine to get around it.

But when I cant, I've always wanted to try one of these babies out:

https://www.hdplex.com/hdplex-fanless-400w-atx-linear-power-supply-with-modular-atx-output.html

As @Phuncz mentioned the chassis and Skyslots had to be engineered to pass FCC emissions as a video broadcast unit (I had to find interesting customers to get the first run going). I learned (and forgot) some interesting things like the shape and size of openings and how close they are limits ripple emissions, and that the half circles at the end decreases noise greatly (which is why I changed from the S3 angular vent style).

I don't know if this is going to effect music production any, but it was a fun experience. Especially because there were some naysayers at NAB when we demoed the prototype who said the large cutouts would stop the unit from ever passing. It was a pretty big relief to me when it did or we might not have the MINI today without that customer!

Last edited:
Reactions: Phuncz and calvinpp