External brick or internal brick for 8700K + 1080ti build?

Jelboen

Case Bender
Original poster
Jul 29, 2018
Hi guys,

This is my first time trying to build a computer this small. I have ordered a S4M and hoping for it to ship the 3rd. I have been reading a few posts on the forum, and watched the NFC videos out there.
@Josh | NFC did put up a video explaining his thoughts and the recommandation for a build like that (in the now half year old video):

Is there anything new under the sun, or is the recommandation still the same? I do not think there can be any internal powersupply that suit my needs, but I'm thinking of building a case for the HDPLEX 400W AC-DC and use it as an external brick. I have already ordered the HDPLEX 400W DC
I really want to avoid the Eurocom brick, which is so expensive, and if the limitation is still on the HDPLEX 400W, then I really can't see the point in throwing 500$ + shipping to Denmark :)

The computer is meant for gaming (obviously).

Can you guys guide me in the right direction towards a viable solution? As said, I'm fine with an external solution as well as an internal.

//Michael

Epsilon748

Efficiency Noob
Jul 17, 2018
There's an upcoming 400w AC-DC HDPlex option that will work well with the current 400w DC-ATX, but I am still a bit confused how it's supposed to fit into the S4M as it looks huge.

The 1080Ti + 8700k is just about the most power hungry build type you could go with, I'd be equally concerned on thermals even if you got the power right. I've seen other people use two 400w to get the power needed. I just went with the 1080 + 8700 non K in mine to save the headache.

Jelboen

Case Bender
Original poster
Jul 29, 2018
Hmm i see the point. I might need to either accept the cost of a Eurocom or go down in specs a bit. It has been so long ago since my last build, that the TDP is hard to figure out.
95w vs. 105w (Ryzen) - that does not seem like that is much of a difference. However leap from 65w to 105w TDP is alot. I guess it comes down to the choice of GPU to keep it within the range of 400w?

rook

Average Stuffer
Jul 9, 2018
So at 100% cpu usage and a -.18V undervolt my delidded 8700k uses just under 130W, but tha's not at the wall. The 1080ti can pull 250+ watts (again not at the wall) but I've never undervolted my mini to see what I can get away with. You can see the power requirement issue already, although the hdplex can run a bit higher that advertised (I believe).